Strange issue with the ruler

jupooka
Go to solution Solved by jupooka,

1 hour ago, jupooka said:

Hello,

I'm not sure what I may have done to cause this, but after importing some audio into a project, my ruler now starts at -4.  Is there a way that I can reset this so that it starts at 0 again?

image.png.5347ddf6f41fa7e659496f440b462d87.png

Thank you.

JC

This means that the project now starts at a negative bar number (from your screenshot I cannot determine which one exactly). You can drag the project start (use the little triangle in the upper left, see screenshot below) back to the default 1 1 1 1, but not as long as there is any content starting before 1 1 1 1 (as it is the case in your screenshot).

image.png.1ae7c6e7869ed93a1d852dd44096c124.png

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

The song starts at what is currently -3, but using the existing timeline, it would be starting at 1; the project used to start at 0.  I'm not sure what I dragged or moved around, but I've tried moving the entire project data to 1 and trimming the measures -4 through 0, but that does not reset the values; it remains with the negative numbers and essentially looks the same:

image.png.804a01d77e8e9fa765c7743ad54efd0d.png

That screenshot was after moving everything to the right (so it started at 1) and then I highlighted and removed everything before zero and the ruler did not change.

I have a backup of the project from a month ago and this is what it is supposed to look like (and I was incorrect, it actually started at measure 2):

image.png.b4a6ad5a0458b2851a7b5348ddadbcbd.png

And in the current version:

image.png.708111e80833aa6f547ff51bdd8d7bfc.png

• Solution

Actually, got it!  I started backing up tracks in the event that I needed to move to a new project, but I got the following warning:

image.png.f88fecb67d76976de4774a5251a7f0fa.png

I then took a peek in the events and found this:

image.png.da099a8fa8fab408a02a35395b85e090.png

Everything after that started at the correct time.  I deleted the above and then was able to move the start marker over to where it should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jupooka said:

I deleted the above and then was able to move the start marker over to where it should be.

That's exactly what I wrote in my first reply: "You can drag the project start (use the little triangle in the upper left, see screenshot below) back to the default 1 1 1 1, but not as long as there is any content starting before 1 1 1 1"

Edited by polanoid

I had moved everything over (no screenshot of that was provided) so that nothing was before 1 1 1 1, but even then it wouldn't resize until I removed the phantom events specifically via the Events panel on the right, which were still reporting negative measures despite all other visible data in the main window had been moved. 

1 minute ago, jupooka said:

I had moved everything over (no screenshot of that was provided) so that nothing was before 1 1 1 1, but even then it wouldn't resize until I removed the phantom events specifically via the Events panel on the right, which were still reporting negative measures despite all other visible data in the main window had been moved. 

They were certainly not „phantom“, only on high track numbers (121 and above, obviously). Maybe those tracks were even hidden? Or inside collapsed track stacks?

What's interesting is that the tracks referenced have nothing in them until the end of the song.   Not at any time during this process has there been anything visible in those tracks in the main window and they are not hidden or in the one track stack in the project.  I have not touched them in a while, so I don't know why they were reporting events. 

Anyway, thank you for your consideration

Edited by jupooka

11 hours ago, jupooka said:

Not at any time during this process has there been anything visible in those tracks in the main window and they are not hidden or in the one track stack in the project.

Interesting: you're not seeing any regions on these tracks in the project? For example on track 121 you should have seen an 8 bar region starting at bar -4. If you weren't seeing it then I wonder if perhaps that was an automation event that was contained in the automation main window but hidden in the Tracks view. 

In any case thanks a lot for letting us know how you ended up resolving it. 😃

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Interesting: you're not seeing any regions on these tracks in the project? For example on track 121 you should have seen an 8 bar region starting at bar -4. If you weren't seeing it then I wonder if perhaps that was an automation event that was contained in the automation main window but hidden in the Tracks view. 

In any case thanks a lot for letting us know how you ended up resolving it. 😃

From the screenshot jupooka posted here, it's quite obvious that it was (most probably Audio-) Regions, not automation events.

Edited by polanoid

6 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I meant they could have been automation regions, here's an example of (hidden) automation regions (see the third one): 

image.png

Unlikely as the region names ending with .2, .3, .4 etc. indicate Audio Regions. Also, jupooka would have needed to open the Track Automation Root Folder event list for this.

• Like 1

Just now, polanoid said:

Unlikely as the region names ending with .2, .3, .4 etc. indicate Audio Regions. Also, jupooka would have needed to open the Track Automation Root Folder event list for this.

You're correct, I was just trying to guess how he could have regions listed in the Event List that are not visible in the Tracks view, but it's highly unlikely that was the case. 

Thank you for the responses!  

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but the tracks referenced in the events panel have always been empty at the beginning of the project.  I did drag around some audio in lower numbered tracks and it's possible I may have temporarily dragged one of the clips into these tracks, but they would've been moved out immediately afterwards.  When I was unable to resize the project at first, I selected all and moved everything over away from the negative numbered measures, I then scanned down the list of tracks to see if anything still existed in the measures prior to 1 and there was nothing visible.  Hard to say at this point, but everything is as it should be now.

I really appreciate your assistance!  This is a great forum for Logic Pro users.

• Like 1