Help with 4k TV & 2013 MacPro (mouse issues)

I had a 1080 TV as my main monitor for many years with no issues... and I now bought a larger 4K LG TV and now I can't get my Logictech 903 mouse to work properly. Using the Logitech app resolution & Apple's mouse tracking... I can't find the right settings. The mouse movement is driving me crazy as I can't move smoothly to any destination without feeling like it's drunk... can't zero in on my target w/o overshooting every time etc. Imagine making thousands of mouse moves editing. Not sure what I'm missing. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it somehow? I tried another mouse and it's the same thing. I also have my audio... out of sync with video when I watch Youtube etc. I've read that may be an HDMI issue with my 2013 Macpro being HDMI v1.2... but not sure. Plugged my new M1 MBP and there is no sync issue. I tried other HDMI cables and also tried an adaptor for the Mini disply to HDMI. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

1 hour ago, triplets said:

The 2013 mac pro supports 5k screens thru HMDI. Did you try the Thunderbolt port with an HDMI adapter?

Yes, I mentioned at the end of the post I tried that. Also got an HDMI adapter yesterday from B&H that converts the refresh rate... 30 to 60. Didn't help... but i had read some posts that mentioned it. Looks like another reason to get the new Mac Studio soon. Thanks!

On 6/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, Eric Wikman said:

also tried an adaptor for the Mini disply to HDMI

Mini display is not Thunderbolt. It's just a smaller version of the Display port protocol.

They share the same port plug, but it's not the same. The 2013 Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2 ports as you well know.

29 minutes ago, triplets said:

Mini display is not Thunderbolt. It's just a smaller version of the Display port protocol.

They share the same port plug, but it's not the same. The 2013 Mac Pro has Thunderbolt 2 ports as you well know.

I see 6 TB ports (I use 1 for my Apollo Duo), 4 USB,1 HDMI , 2 Ethernet.  I was wrong then because both adapters I tried are TB. Why do you say the trashcan has 2 TB. Thanks for all this btw!

Edited by Eric Wikman

9 hours ago, Eric Wikman said:

Why do you say the trashcan has 2 TB.

I said Thunderbolt 2.

There is Thunderbolt (with a speed of 10 gb/s), Thunderbolt 2 (with a speed of 20 gb/s), and Thunderbolt 3 (which is 40 gb/s, and looks different and comes on all new Macs).

On your 2013 Mac Pro you have 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports. Clear now?

• 4 weeks later...

BTW I set my LG TV to "Game Mode" and it's much better now. I had read about & tried it before but there are settings in 2 areas on the TV's menus. Apparently there is lots of processing going on in the LG that must cause the lag in graphics when using a computer as a source. Fixed both issues... the mouse (which was actually a lag also) and sync. Still a bit there, but much more usable. Thanks

• Like 1