External SSD Drives for travel use

DanRad

I'm looking for a small 3TB+ external SSD for when I'm on the road...so I wouldn't be taxing it that much...  I see this one on a few sites.  It's SO cheap... any opinions or suggestions?

http://www.nivttdogcattoy.com/product/16tb8tb4tb2tb-ultra-speed-external-ssd-upgraded-version/?attribute_color=Blue&attribute_style=6TB&utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Nivtt-US-shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwheyUBhD-ARIsAHJNM-POVys_zYDBJLkmSYfDvfofqgAFqEFTlktcmugpIDVIzejQ2gECGvsaAsvLEALw_wcB

Edited by DanRad
Changes

• DanRad changed the title to External SSD Drives for travel use

I have the 2TB version of this Sandisk.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595433-REG/sandisk_sdssde61_4t00_g25_4tb_extreme_portable_ssd.html

Read/write speeds are similar to the Samsung T7, which I don't have but contemplated (and wouldn't hesitate to buy).

The sandisk's selling point for me (over the T7) was the little notch, for a snap-clip/mini-carabiner. These things are TINY and nearly weightless (pretty much all mobile SSDs), and losing them/dropping them or having them fall out is distinct. Not a fan of the uselessly short cable, TBH. But, it's a cable, and it works.

The pricing of that vs a similar size T7 is negligible, if non-existent. Fact is, for a 1000MB/s read/write speed, you're going to pay somewhere between $95-$120 per TB for a decent one. And definitely get a decent one. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, triplets said:

On the 2012 MBP USB 3 tops out at 5gb/s, so that's slower than TB 1 and TB 2, which are 10 gb/s and 20 gb/s respectively.

I stand corrected and apologize for my misinformation. USB3 is faster than FW800, but not Thunderbolt.

To DanRad:

Yes, even at only 5Gb/s USB3 is over six times faster than FW 800.

For the same capacity, USB3 drives will be cheaper than any Thunderbolt 1 or 2 drives...if you can even find any!  My 1TB Transcend JM500 (the system drive for my 2011 iMac, much faster than the internal HDD) was the only Thunderbolt SSD I could find when I bought it about two years ago. It is now discontinued but cost me $300 while the SanDisk Extreme (USB3.2 gen2, so 10Gb/s) I use with my 2020 MB Air was only $130...both are 1TB. Samsung and WD SSDs are priced comparable to my SanDisk. Expect to pay double that for 2TB...$250-$300.

I was willing to pay through the nose for Tbolt because my iMac's other ports are FW800 and USB 2.

Edited by enossified

Fast external SSDs heat up so most have thermal protection built in. With larger transfers, the speed is reduced to prevent overheating.  The cache size also impacts speed of larger transfers (i.e. not all the data fits into the cache).

In any event, the T5 and T7 both support speeds faster than 5Gb/s, so in this case the bottleneck will be the USB port of the MB Pro.

Edited by enossified