Renaming Regions by Track Name not working for me

Stubai

Hi there,

I'm about to send a new project to mixer. He likes to get a wet stem of a guitar, with pedal effects and amp settings, but also a dry stem.

So I've copied the original stem (with the effects, amp etc) onto a duplicate track, and then I turned off all the pedal/amp models for a dry stem.

I named the tracks to reflect this, then selected them all, went to the Functions menu, did the ol' Rename Regions by Track Names.

However, as you can see in the screenshot, it hasn't differentiated between the different track names - just doubled up on the first track.

image.thumb.png.cf313125aa30a869f766f0842d798203.png

I presume this might have something to do with the audio files being copies, but is there a way to get around this? There are a lot of different tracks, and I don't want to manually rename them all if possible!

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately I think you might be out of luck. 

I'd probably use the keyboard shortcut though  (alt-shift-n), then you can just scroll down the tracks with your arrow key (as long as you don't have a cycle region set up), do the command and all the regions are named correctly.

Keyboard shortcuts are the power move :)

On 6/12/2022 at 10:37 AM, Stubai said:

I presume this might have something to do with the audio files being copies, but is there a way to get around this? There are a lot of different tracks, and I don't want to manually rename them all if possible!

No, it should work even if the regions refer to the same audio files. If you can share the project, I'll have a look. 

That's weird. It still doesn't work for me. Can I double check with you that the "wet" or "dry" part ofd the name at the ends of the regions changed for you?

As you can see in the image below, that's not changing for me (ie. the second region should have "dry" at the end, not "wet")

image.png.b43f835055619e5451ef38ed3404c318.png

OK, thanks David. Do you have any ideas why it wouldn't work for me? Is it specific to my Mac? And are there any workarounds you could suggest to get the regions named correctly?

All I can think of is to export the stems to my desktop, and then rename them manually (once I've figured out what is wet and dry)