Region Gain doesn't change volume

alex1fly

OK so maybe I'm getting this all wrong.

I'm recording guitar tracks and using Logic's built in amps. This is high gain music if that makes a difference. I go to adjust a Region's Gain in the inspector and it doesn't actually change the volume of the region even though the waveform will change in size visually. I can swing it all the way from -30 db to +30 db and the volume doesn't change. The beefiness of the guitar track changes, almost like it's adjusting what's being fed into the virtual amp, but that doesn't help me balance volume of different parts of the song. What am I missing? I'm hoping to change the volume of Regions through the song, so that I don't have to keep making individual tracks or use automation. 

4 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

almost like it's adjusting what's being fed into the virtual amp

If you have inserted a virtual amp plug-in on the channel strip's Audio FX section then that's exactly what is happening. In other words, you cannot use Region gain to balance volume if you're using a virtual amp (or any other level-sensitive effect) on the channel strip. 

Instead, you can use volume automation. 

• Like 1

Region gain is the first thing that is applied to the signal, before anything else (insert plug-ins, pan, volume…) so it is usually not suitable for changing the volume of the signal at the channel strip‘s output. As David writes, you will need to use Volume automation for that.

• Like 1