Using Logic as master and Reaper as slave

Danny Wyatt

Is this possible and something that will not be all laggy and stuff?

I really love Reaper for its capabilities to compress or stretch audio without audible artifacts. At least not like Flex which is very temperamental.
I would like to use Reaper as a slave so I could use it in real time along with Logic.
Anyone experienced with this scenario and how to get the best results?

Edited by Danny Wyatt

I'm not a big fan of using two pieces of software together that way because that's double the potential for something going wrong, but it should be doable, yes. To run Logic as the master, choose File > Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI and select an IAC bus as a destination and select Clock. Then you have to set up Reaper to slave that clock on that IAC bus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

I'm not a big fan of using two pieces of software together that way because that's double the potential for something going wrong, but it should be doable, yes. To run Logic as the master, choose File > Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI and select an IAC bus as a destination and select Clock. Then you have to set up Reaper to slave that clock on that IAC bus. 

I wish I didn't have to do this either, but Flex is really not that reliable as much as I wished it was...

Also, this is something I rarely use, to be honest. Most of the time I use it to just open the files, make changes to the tempo and export them right away, but in case I need to have them both running, I will see if I can follow your instructions and make it work.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, steveLpx1 said:

...slightly off topic (but should rhyme)...I use Reaper as the external audio editor for spectral editing. Totally missing in Logic. Seems to work just fine...hth.../s~

I had no idea what that was and never used it, but maybe that could help me visually when looking at reference tracks for example. Thanks for sharing.