Humanize MIDI with MIDI FX?

Nola111

I have static MIDI patterns with equal velocities and perfect timing that I need to inject some humanization into.  I have always used Functions-> MIDI Transform -> Humanize to accomplish this, but it seems to be a bit of an antiquated approach.  It would be really nice to be able to accomplish it with realtime tweaks via something like MIDI FX.  But I have tinkered with all 7 of the main MIDI FX (sans Scripter) and can't quite get to what I need to do (which is simply inject subtle variations to velocity and timing).  

Which MIDI FX should I be using to accomplish this?  Or can I only do this with the Humanize function?  Alternatively, if there is some 3rd party tool or plugin that does this really well, I'm keen on learning about that too.

You might not like to hear this, but humanisation is not about randomly playing things imperfectly. If all your notes have the same length and velocities, I'd suggest replacing them with a line, maybe even actually play it, that actually means or expresses something. You're not speaking sentences where you randomly emphasize or subdue syllables and shorten every third one, and it's precisely the same with melodies and grooves. Is that note important or not ? Is it the star of the bar or just a setup for the next one ? This should tell you whether it needs to be loud, soft, long, short, legato, staccato, early, late, crescendo or decrescendo and any combination of these.

6 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

The randomizer will allow you to randomize the velocities within a range, however you can't affect timing in real time (or even if you could, then you could only delay real time MIDI notes, but you couldn't play them earlier than they occur). 

Thanks David, that makes sense.

• Like 1