Audio region reverse?

Notawiz

Hi! Could somebody do this, so I know I'm not crazy:

Open a new project. Search in the Loop Library "Bell Church 2", drag it to a new track.

After that, in Region info on the left (under More), check the box "Reverse". In the Track View, you can see that the audio region gets reversed.

Now: Play it through. Especially listen to end part of the audio region, where there is actually something to listen to.

When I do this, I don't hear just one bell hit reversed — I hear several. What do you hear?

I know this is a surround sound clip, and if I change the track settings to stereo and then bounce the clip to a new track, I can reverse the region. But if I have a lot of audio clips I want to try and fool around with, this process gets kind of tedious.

Is this somehow the property of a surround sound clip, the "unreversability"? :-)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Notawiz

31 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I can't find that loop in my library, are you sure that's an Apple loop?

It's here in the Soundtrack Pro categorie: /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro/Detroit Chop Shop/Misc.

4 hours ago, Notawiz said:

When I do this, I don't hear just one bell hit reversed — I hear several. What do you hear?

I hear many.

• Like 1

Okay, I've been doing some light research here... Like des99 just suggested, it seems that it's the same thing with every surround sound audio clip. The reverse somehow messes it all up. 

I'm not sure if there is a way to search just for surround sound clips in the Loop Library, but so far I have found and tried these: Factory and Machines 06, Construction 5, City from Rooftop, Building entrance 01, Birds Flamingos, Basketball Single Player. Same thing with all of them.

I don't know what exactly the reverse function is doing, but it's useless with those clips.

I guess the good news is, it seems to be only the surround sound clips. Not sure, why the Church Bell clip even needed to be surround, but... there you have it. Having tried a few longer clips with normal stereo sound, they seem to work okay.

I guess you can call this a bug of some sort? I don't know anything about surround sound — maybe it works differently, maybe it's not just reversable?

Unlike des99, I seemed to be able to get them work after bouncing them to stereo. I first changed the track settings to stereo (both input and output, not sure if that matters), then bounced the region in place to a new track.

Thanks anyway for confirming this! I was worried that there might be some kind of strange corruption going on with my hard drive or something. :-)

Edited by Notawiz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Notawiz said:

Unlike des99, I seemed to be able to get them work after bouncing them to stereo. I first changed the track settings to stereo (both input and output, not sure if that matters), then bounced the region in place to a new track.

It might have been the BIP settings I used, I think I unchecked use vol/pan automation, so the bounce doesn't go through the mixer. Probably with those checked, it would work like a regular bounce. I didn't investigate further... ;) 

• Like 1