Constrained dragging?

Go to solution Solved by des99,

Page 159 of 10.5 book:

"After you start dragging regions..while you are still holding down the mouse..press and release shift to limit the dragging motion to one direction.."

I know how important this is in a DAW but it's not working for me?

Thanks

If you drag left or right, then hold shift, dragging will be limited to the horizontal axis only.

If you release shift, and drag up/down, then hold shift, dragging will be limited to vertical direction only.

So basically, start to drag a region in the axis/direction you want to constrain movement to, then holding shift will keep it on that axis. If you want to change the constraint while still in the drag operation, release shift, drag in the other axis to tell Logic the movement you now want, and again hold shift from that point.

Just takes a little getting used to...

Thanks

It's strange because the default dragging motion for me seems to be the opposite. Not holding shift whilst dragging is constrained and holding shift allows movement horizontally and vertically i.e unconstrained

But I might be confused. The book refers to pressing and releasing the shift key whilst dragging, not keeping it pressed.

• Solution

It's just a simpler/shorter way of presenting the behaviour I wrote above - I just explained it in more detail.

This is what the manual says btw, so check this preference setting:

You can limit the movement of regions to either the horizontal or vertical axis by selecting the Logic Pro  > Preferences > General > Editing > Limit Dragging to One Direction In Tracks checkbox. If you initially move a region left or right, movement is limited to the horizontal axis. If you want to move a region from one track to another, release the mouse button, reselect the region, then drag it up or down. While this preference is selected, you can override it by pressing Shift when moving regions.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Indeed, that preference is off by default, which means you're free to drag your regions in any direction until you press Shift. 

Also of importance, and that is what I tried to explain in the book: you can actually press and release Shift multiple times during a single dragging motion in order to toggle the direction-limiting on and off. Meaning that while you're dragging a region and not letting go of the mouse button, you can press and release Shift to limit the dragging to one direction, and press and release it again to no longer limit the dragging to one direction. 

• Like 1