Monitoring soft instrument through alternative outputs

bjb

Hi folks, I've been googling and exploring but not found an answer so thought I'd seek community help.

I'm coming to Logic Pro, and software instruments, having previously used hardware instruments. Something I really miss is the sound of the instrument I'm playing coming from a separate set of speakers to the mix I'm playing along to. So when I play a piano, I'd like the sound to come out of the speakers under my keyboard (with separate and easily reached volume control) rather than the speakers on the desk, but when I hit playback it should join the rest of the mix on the main speakers.

Obviously I can manually switch the track output temporarily to another output when recording, and back during playback, but that's fiddly and manual. I'm really after something where the input(s) I'm monitoring in real time are routed differently to the tracks being played back from disk. Is this something anyone can suggest a solution to? I've found that you can have separate volumes for recording and playback, but that's not quite enough.

bjb

1 hour ago, bjb said:

when I play a piano, I'd like the sound to come out of the speakers under my keyboard ..., but when I hit playback it should join the rest of the mix on the main speakers.

This is a highly unusual request, and not without its flaws. For instance, what if you want to listen to the previous four bars of piano, then punch in at bar 5 to record for four more bars, then drop out to listen to the remaining four bars which are already recorded. How would you know while playing/recording if the punch-in and -out points sound seamless when your monitoring speakers change every four bars ?

Anyway, if I for some reason want the 'live' played part to get different treatment than the already recorded parts on the same instrument, I hit Track>Other>New Track With Duplicate Settings (which is the same as the copy button on top of the track list). This gives me an otherwise identical track where I can make my adjustments, including output routing. Now I can record on that track, and drag the keepers to the playback track.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzfilth said:

I hit Track>Other>New Track With Duplicate Settings (which is the same as the copy button on top of the track list). This gives me an otherwise identical track where I can make my adjustments, including output routing. Now I can record on that track, and drag the keepers to the playback track.

That's a great workflow alternative, better than having to change the output routing every time you want to change the monitoring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzfilth said:

This is a highly unusual request, and not without its flaws. For instance, what if you want to listen to the previous four bars of piano, then punch in at bar 5 to record for four more bars, then drop out to listen to the remaining four bars which are already recorded. How would you know while playing/recording if the punch-in and -out points sound seamless when your monitoring speakers change every four bars ?

Hmm... I'm not sure I quite get the first scenario, but perhaps that's just because of a lack of familiarity with this kind of workflow :)

I guess by people's responses it is an unusual request though. My background is essentially acoustic, or at least stand-alone, miked-up instruments. I'm used to hearing what I'm playing coming from the instrument or its amp, and I can much more clearly separate out what I'm playing from what I'm hearing on the existing track through the other speakers, and by moving my head subtly adjust that. Being able to have separate monitoring and recording levels is a start (crank the track you're recording to), but not quite the same as hearing the instrument I'm playing coming from, essentially, the instrument, rather than a set of speakers shared with the playback track.

Anyway, if I for some reason want the 'live' played part to get different treatment than the already recorded parts on the same instrument, I hit Track>Other>New Track With Duplicate Settings (which is the same as the copy button on top of the track list). This gives me an otherwise identical track where I can make my adjustments, including output routing. Now I can record on that track, and drag the keepers to the playback track.

Yes, I've tried things like that. It starts to feel a bit unmanageable with huge (e.g. orchestral) projects though.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Even if it's just a "You can't do that I'm afraid," it will stop me searching to find whether there's a hidden option to help :)

bjb

2 hours ago, bjb said:

not sure I quite get the first scenario

Classic drop-in and -out, like it's done since the sixties:

image.thumb.gif.f5ff5ab88bf6138e9103961728fe2a29.gif

2 hours ago, bjb said:

unmanageable with huge (e.g. orchestral) projects

If you're recording all over the place, then yes. If you focus on the oboe until it's done, then it's quite doable. But then, really, I couldn't name an orchestral composer who needs an extra pair of monitors just for the live part.

Edited by fuzzfilth

31 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

Classic drop-in and -out, like it's done since the sixties:

Yes, sorry. Got that bit :)

It was this:

How would you know while playing/recording if the punch-in and -out points sound seamless when your monitoring speakers change every four bars

I didn't quite get the problem. How will I know if it sounds seamless? When I play it back I'll be able to hear that. How will I know at the time of recording? Well, I guess I wouldn't but I always listen back to be sure I'm happy with the take. I figured I must have missed something you were getting at.

Edited by bjb