Is your mouse generating double clicks when you only click once, too?

GeeMan

I had quite a moment as I have taken my mouse apart and re-tensioned the little brass spring in my microswitch of the left button on my mouse and it failed to fix the issue.

I'm using a logitech M720.

The current internet fix is to put your mouse double click detect up to max. That SEEMS to improve things but not a lot.

I went on a site that shows you double clicks and the mouse itself registered NO double clicks. I go into logic and suddenly loads of false double clicks are interrupting my edits and clicking and dragging... with nasty results that have to be carefully undone.

Out of interest at this stage, is anyone else getting this horrible issue?

As I say, I fixed the spring personally and the mouse registers no double clicks (after i literally waggled the mouse and hit the button 200 times) when you use a browser app as a detector.

Quite a few people are alluding to it being a software issue... And your fix seems to support the fact. Of course, if I test the mouse more and it's hardware i'll defo change it. (though it cost 50 Eur).

I'm a bit confused - if you fixed the mouse, why is there a requirement to set the double-click detect (do you mean "speed" here?) to max, presumably making it incredibly sensitive, and sending spurious double-clicks everywhere?

What happens if you just set this to a relatively reasonable norm? (My double-click speed it seems looks to be about 75%...)

Edited by des99

Lots of people are confused about this: But some people, when they set the mouse to fastest double click, it somehow eradicates their false double clicks.

Making it "faster" doesn't make it more sensitive, it means the time between clicks must be faster to generate a double.

And yet these clicks I'm getting seem to be pretty much instantaneous.

I have tried most of the click speed settings.

11 minutes ago, GeeMan said:

Lots of people are confused about this: But some people, when they set the mouse to fastest double click, it somehow eradicates their false double clicks.

So, you "fixed" the mouse, but in general use, it's still generating false double-clicks, and you're trying to find a way in software to find a workable compromise to avoid replacing the mouse?

Making it "faster" doesn't make it more sensitive, it means the time between clicks must be faster to generate a double.

Yes, so you are talking about speed, good.

And yet these clicks I'm getting seem to be pretty much instantaneous.

So likely your mouse trigger is not actually fixed as such, but is "bouncing" between contacts everytime it's triggered, and generating spurious values. The mouse speed setting probably isn't going to do much here, because these mouse events are happening almost instantaneously, well beyond a normal user-driver range that the OS lets you select, so they are always going to register as double-clicks, regardless of the setting - resulting in the behaviour you see.

(This might work for some people, because in their cases, the pseudo-random generated events from a switch trigger might be long enough apart to escape registering as a double-click at the extreme setting, but it's a hacky workaround that just works for them because of their particular hardware failure behaviour, not a blanket solution for everybody having a similar problem.)

I'd probably take the switch apart again and give it a good clean, inspect for bent contacts etc (if you haven't already done) and so what you can to put them into good working shape. I'm not sure offhand if you can buy replacement microswitches, but that might be an option too.

But the problem is your switches are sending spurious events, and it will be very difficult in software to debounce them across your system, unless there are specific system extensions that will do that...

Edited by des99