No sound or signal going to my bus

JK Parker

Hey there,

I am learning how to mix and create bus tracks. I have created my drums bus, bass bus, vocals bus etc.. and my original tracks are playing but there is no sound. For instance, my drums track works when the output is set to stereo out, but when I change the output to my drums bus there is no signal or sound yet the track is playing. Why isn't my drums bus getting the signal??

I have attached a screenshot which shows the overheads having signal but the drums bus (far right) isn't receiving anything??

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.25.06 pm.png

Edited by JK Parker

In your mixer, the "Drums" channel strip is an audio track (used to record audio regions on tracks in the Tracks area). Is that by design, so that you can print stems? If it is then you need to adjust your software monitoring settings (Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > General) so that you can hear that track either by clicking "I" or "R". If it is not, then you need to use an Aux channel strip for that purpose. 

If you are just learning to mix, then all this bussing and the VCAs is convoluted IMO. The more complex your routing, the more time you'll spend trying to understand why things aren't working the way you want instead of actually mixing. I would keep things simple at first: just put groups of tracks into summing stack (for example one stack for drums, one for bass, one for guitar, one for vocals), and get rid of the VCAs.