Logic audio file duplication descrepency between locally exported files and files downloaded from internet

Teag1
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

I'll try to make this as concise as I can. I've been dealing with the issue of Logic duplicating samples in Finder (-24b name extension) for a while now. I've looked around a lot and always see staff and other people recommend making sure all the settings are unticked in the Assets menu. But I always have them unchecked as that's the default for new projects anyway. When deleting the duped files some projects can't be opened because it can't load the copy instead of the original sample.

Recently though I've noticed a discrepancy of when this occurs and when it doesn't. Hopefully I can get other people to know about it or can get someone to help resolve this issue:

When I have samples which I downloaded from a site or anywhere else where it ended up in my downloads folder, this issue does not occur. I think possibly it used to in the past but I can't remember the specifics, I just remember this being an issue I had for a very long time. But for right now in my testing, duplication does not occur.

However, when I use samples that I recorded into Logic (via recording desktop audio through my Focusrite's Loopback inputs) which I then exported to my computer, dragging them into new projects duplicates them with the -24b extension. Forever and always my Assets settings have remained unchecked.

In the examples I'm attaching, notice Logic's behavior when dragging in samples I locally recorded and exported from the anime Mushi-Shi, vs game audio samples of a Prince of Persia game I downloaded from a sample library website (Folders are Mushi Shi & Spiked Beasts). When dragging in any sample I exported from Logic, the sample duplicates. When dragging in any sound from Prince of Persia, the sound does not duplicate.

In case I'm vastly misremembering something, and the solution is to have the boxes checked. I recreated this exact same scenario with the appropriate Asset settings enabled and still had this happen. To me it seems that these settings don't work at all for me and maybe this is a bug I should report? Let me know.

1_Assests Menu with no checks.png

2_locally recorded sample before dragging in.png

3_Logic duping locally record sample in Finder and Logic.jpg

4_samples downloaded from internet.png

5_Logic NOT duping samples downloaded online.jpg

Edited by Teag1