when i deactivate a bus, another bus chooses to automatically activate?

SoSpiro

i am trying to deactivate all of my buses with plug-ins.  when i try to deactivate my "pad bus", my "vox bus" activates.  when i try to deactivate my "vox bus", my "pad bus" activates.  big wtf.  i'm just trying to save cpu and it won't let me 😕

if someone can also tell me how to embed my OBS videos here, i'd appreciate that too.

Could you show what's inside the summing track stacks whose main track you're switching off? I can see that the on/off button goes into "mixed" state when you click on it, meaning there's a mixture of "on" and "off" tracks inside the stacks. No idea if this is relevant. It would be best if you could upload a project in which this happens.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, polanoid said:

Could you show what's inside the summing track stacks whose main track you're switching off? I can see that the on/off button goes into "mixed" state when you click on it, meaning there's a mixture of "on" and "off" tracks inside the stacks. No idea if this is relevant. It would be best if you could upload a project in which this happens.

this is my "Pad Bus" that keeps deactivating.  my Vox Bus has too many tracks for one pic, but i'll upload.....i know it's confusing.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 9.22.41 PM.png

On 8/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, SoSpiro said:

if someone can also tell me how to embed my OBS videos here, i'd appreciate that too.

The best and easiest is to host your video on YouTube (you can unlist it so that no one will find it there), and embed it here in your post (by simply pasting the YouTube link). 

Here you embedded a .mov video which is a Mac video format, so it shows as embedded on Safari but not on Chrome. 

On 8/12/2022 at 2:30 AM, David Nahmani said:

The best and easiest is to host your video on YouTube (you can unlist it so that no one will find it there), and embed it here in your post (by simply pasting the YouTube link). 

Here you embedded a .mov video which is a Mac video format, so it shows as embedded on Safari but not on Chrome. 

thank you. 

so how are you embedding yours as .gifs that show up on chrome?

On 8/15/2022 at 12:22 AM, SoSpiro said:

are there certain circumstances where the option-click on the "deactivate track" button does not deactivate all of the plug-ins on that track?

Do you have multiple tracks using the same channel strips? Because in that case it gets at least confusing: Say if you have two tracks using software instrument channel strip "Inst 1", and both are on, then option click on one of its on/off buttons, that track is switched OFF (correct), its plug-ins are deactivated (correct as well), but if you then simply select the other track (which is still ON) the plug-ins of that channel strip are re-activated.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:19 AM, polanoid said:

Do you have multiple tracks using the same channel strips? Because in that case it gets at least confusing: Say if you have two tracks using software instrument channel strip "Inst 1", and both are on, then option click on one of its on/off buttons, that track is switched OFF (correct), its plug-ins are deactivated (correct as well), but if you then simply select the other track (which is still ON) the plug-ins of that channel strip are re-activated.

i strongly believe there is something like this going on that i'm not understanding.  

I option+ click or duplicate tracks often and change the names/plug-ins etc. on them.  I expect them to act as separate entities when i do that, but are you saying they are still grouped together somehow due to the previous settings still on the track or something?

On 8/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, JakobP said:

If you option+click the duplicate track button, the new track will "use" the same channel strip, so a simple left click is the way to go...

these are "channel strips", no?  how are they using the same "channel strip" if they're separated as different channel strips?  i know i'm being confusing, but bear with me please.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 2.10.23 PM.png

Edited by SoSpiro

On 8/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, JakobP said:

If you option+click the duplicate track button, the new track will "use" the same channel strip, so a simple left click is the way to go...

also, what do you mean "a simple left click is the way to go"?  Do you mean creating new tracks with this menu is better so i don't experience these same problems?  

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 2.13.17 PM.png

1 hour ago, SoSpiro said:

these are "channel strips", no?  how are they using the same "channel strip" if they're separated as different channel strips?  i know i'm being confusing, but bear with me please.

No problem :) I'm saying that multiple tracks can share the same channel strip, and by option+clicking the "Duplicate Track" button that's what you achieve. Left clicking that same button will give you a track with "its own" channel strip. 

8 minutes ago, JakobP said:

No problem :) I'm saying that multiple tracks can share the same channel strip, and by option+clicking the "Duplicate Track" button that's what you achieve. Left clicking that same button will give you a track with "its own" channel strip. 

thanks for trying to explain, but i'm still not understanding.  

left clicking a channel only highlights the channel strip and doesn't create a new anything.  What am i missing?

28 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

@JakobP is talking about Option-clicking (or just left-clicking) the Duplicate track button - not the channel strip. 

oh ok.  i usually option + click to duplicate tracks, or Command + D.  i'm guessing command + D keeps it in the same channel but different tracks, while option + click makes it different tracks AND different channels?

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Option-click a track does not duplicate it? Or do you mean Option-drag? 

*sigh* yes, my mistake.  that is what i meant.  thank you for being so quick to clarify what i mean.

where is the "duplicate track button" located?  i never knew there was an actual dedicated button for that.

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok so both Option-drag a track or Command-D should create a new channel strip along with the new track. 

The duplicate track button is the one next to the "+" button at the top of the track headers. 

regarding your first paragraph, i thought that was the case.  I'm not sure why when i solo certain tracks sometimes, it still plays other tracks that AREN'T solo'd.  This might be a topic for another headache of a thread that i'll post when it happens.  I thought it might've stemmed from how i was duplicating the tracks.  Every time i duplicate tracks, i get a new different physical channel strip though, so i'm not sure.

regarding your second paragraph, i don't see that option in the track header.  this is what it looks like for me.  

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 4.27.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 4.27.05 PM.png