Adding tracks to Folder Stack changes output

Danny Wyatt

I am not an expert, but this is how i understand the software works.

In the second picture that is not a folder stack, it's another summing stack (a folder stack has no audio/midi pulgins slots, just the vol/pan)

looks to me like the software is behaving as i expect it to in this case.

in general, when you add a track to a summing stack, that track will output to the input bus of that summing stack automatically (i don't know if there is a setting that can change this behaviour).

So you either stack them into sub stacks to keep your assignments (your lead tracks into a Leads summing stack, your string tracks into a Strings summing stac, etc... and all those summing stacks into your Synth summing stack), or you will have to manually re-route the buses as you did in the first picture, but then avoid moving anything into other stacks or you will end up losing your bus assignments.

41 minutes ago, ravez said:

In the second picture that is not a folder stack, it's another summing stack

It's actually the other way around... first image is just a summing stack with all tracks and auxs inside. Second image is all of that, now inside a folder stack. So basically, what you are saying, wouldn't make sense happening, because it's impossible for Logic to try to change all outputs to the folder stack, because there's no inputs. So why is it changing the outputs of the auxs inside the summing stack, when they were already set inside of it?

Makes no sense, right?

43 minutes ago, ravez said:

So you either stack them into sub stacks to keep your assignments (your lead tracks into a Leads summing stack, your string tracks into a Strings summing stac, etc... and all those summing stacks into your Synth summing stack

There's no way of adding a summing stack inside another summing stack. That's why I used a folder stack. That's the only way to group tracks and summing stacks.

At least, that's what I'm experiencing...

your mixer view is set all, it's easier to understand if you switch to tracks

anyway my suggestions is something like this, as you can see i can nest a summing stack into another summing stack, and then nest them into a folder stack, which again has not plugins slots

stacks.jpg

Edited by ravez

31 minutes ago, ravez said:

as you can see i can nest a summing stack into another summing stack

That's probably a new feature not present in 10.6.3 (my version)

32 minutes ago, ravez said:

your mixer view is set all

It was set to all just so I could see all tracks. Sometimes it happens (I have no idea why) that I have for example 10 tracks on my Tracks area and then I go to the mixer and I have more than 10. I've never really understood why that happens, but I experienced that quite a few times.

But still, even if you nest summing stacks, that doesn't explain why the tracks inside a summing stack are all suddenly changed to the parent summing. Have you tried this with nested summing stacks? Try to recreate my summing stack (first image) then add that to another summing stack and see what happens. And also try that with a folder stack instead of the second summing stack

sorry, not sure how to explain otherwise, even in the manual it says:

"When you create a summing stack, the outputs from the subtracks are routed to a bus. The destination aux of the bus is assigned to the main track."
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/logicpro/lgcp9bc4b63d/mac

That's exactly what is happening to you when moving your tracks into a stack.

And i still don't see any folder stack in your pictures (since i see plugins on all of them and folder tracks can't have plugins).