Camel to Phat conversion help?

Hi all - I've been using Camel Crusher on my Stereo Out bus forever. A simple variation on the Subtle Master preset. After this many years of Logic offering to swap my CC preset for a Phat version, I discovered that indeed Apple bought Camel Audio and that one plug should be able to match the other. My Camel Crusher plug in Logic will only open in Editor view. I've been trying to translate the settings of my Subtle Master tweak, but am a bit overwhelmed by the Phat options. And, I'm still not able to figure out the differences in what I'm hearing. Basically, I'm ready to give in to Phat but am hoping for some help translating! Anybody able to help? (I'm including a screen shot of the Subtle Master tweak that I use on my Stereo Out bus...)

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.04.20 PM.png

Does this help?:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206957

If any of those don't help, Camel Crusher is a fairly limited version so turn off all the sections in PhatFX that aren't in CC, displayed below. The compressor, filter and master sections should be fairly self-explanatory, as is the Tube distortion first stage. I'm not sure offhand what distortion type "MECH" is on PhatFX, of the two compressor modes, but some conversions would reveal that, or you could just try and find one from the list that works for your needs. (I'm not sure whether those old Camel plugins work on my old machine, but I might have some settings/presets somewhere.)

camelcrusher.jpg.522199437dc1bb8fc0d400b2bf61008d.jpg

Edited by des99

51 minutes ago, grumblepig said:

After this many years of Logic offering to swap my CC preset for a Phat version

So if Logic has been doing this for you - shouldn't you already have a PhatFX setting that matches this CC preset? Or am I misunderstanding you?

If you load an old project that uses this setting, it should be translated to PhatFX for you...

Edit: Ok, my old machine has CamelPhat on it (but not CamelCrusher, as CamelPhat replaced it for me). I loaded the "SubtleMaster" preset (I know you said you had modified this), but in CamelPhat it looks like this:

SCR-20220902-2mt.png.47da6a81f972d8ba847f703675690ea1.png

I then replaced this with PhatFX, which translates the parameters of CamelPhat, and the result looks like this:

SCR-20220902-2m5.thumb.png.c6ddf51333507ec5681535b9f4a39d56.png

You can see the enabled sections, the compressor and distortion modes etc, so that should get you in the ballpark to tweak from there according to your tweaks (which you can compare the settings of).

Edited by des99

35 minutes ago, des99 said:

So if Logic has been doing this for you - shouldn't you already have a PhatFX setting that matches this CC preset? Or am I misunderstanding you?

If you load an old project that uses this setting, it should be translated to PhatFX for you...

Edit: Ok, my old machine has CamelPhat on it (but not CamelCrusher, as CamelPhat replaced it for me). I loaded the "SubtleMaster" preset (I know you said you had modified this), but in CamelPhat it looks like this:

SCR-20220902-2mt.png.47da6a81f972d8ba847f703675690ea1.png

I then replaced this with PhatFX, which translates the parameters of CamelPhat, and the result looks like this:

SCR-20220902-2m5.thumb.png.c6ddf51333507ec5681535b9f4a39d56.png

You can see the enabled sections, the compressor and distortion modes etc, so that should get you in the ballpark to tweak from there according to your tweaks (which you can compare the settings of).

Thanks much for this. Whenever I have tried in the past to have Logic do the translation, it's come up short, and with my version of Camel Crusher only available in Editor view, I've always ended up spending dumb hours hunting down ancient versions of CC instead of working towards matching the tone. Perhaps it's me being sentimental or superstitious! Anyway, my new Macbook won't open CC anyway, so I'll head over to my desktop and give your settings a spin. Again, very appreciated.

Phew! Again, thanks much for the great help. It sounds close enough now to make easy sense to my ear. I was mixing up my Editor and Control views, but even when I had a workable Camel Crusher (I still do have it in Pro Tools, I guess...) the GUI wasn't nearly as far along as your version. Far more controls in the CamelPhat layout. Anyway, all is good.