Going back and forth between two computers

lewisinkpress

Hello -- I started a new gig and want to be able to work on my Logic projects at work.  So... I put all of my samples on a portable drive, figuring I could plug it in, open the file and start working.  However, it (Logic on the new computer) is not recognizing my samples -- As I write this I am wondering - my computer at home is Intel, my computer at work is M1.  Is that the issue?  If not, any suggestions, I have just probably missed something. I installed the CSS update while at work and that is the only AU library available to me.

thanks

djl

11 minutes ago, fisherking said:

& have you considered my idea? about saving projects as packages, so when you copy the logic file from one mac to the other, all the audio etc is embedded in that project?...

I could do that for existing projects - however I tried to open a new project - and wanted access to all of my libraries and I didn't have that - so that was where I focusing. I create a new document and the only non-Apple library I had access to was CSS (Since I had just updated it on my Sound Library drive)? 

24 minutes ago, lewisinkpress said:

and wanted access to all of my libraries and I didn't have that

You seemed to ignore my question for some reason, which is odd, because it's exactly how I do this, for my main sample library, and a copy on an external SSD , and it works just fine.

Sorry didn't see your response -- I'm hoping to do what you are doing -- I am confused as to why it isn't working... any thoughts?

My thinking was this -- I have all of my sample libraries on an external drive -- I have been using them - np at home.  I took the external drive and plugged it into my work computer - same version of Logic - and none of the libraries were available.  I am wondering why?

9 minutes ago, lewisinkpress said:

Sorry didn't see your response -- I'm hoping to do what you are doing -- I am confused as to why it isn't working... any thoughts?

Ok, so you are just moving one external sample drive between machines, you're not having a local and a mobile version? (When you said, "I put all my samples on an external drive", I took that to mean you copied your library from your home drive on this second external drive, so the samples were in a new drive location, and you could plugin that in to your remote machine).

If so: The reason is, on your local Logic, you've "relocated" the content, so on your local installation, Logic has written all the aliases to point to the content on the external drive.

However, none of those aliases are set up on the second installation of Logic, so it's expecting all it's content to be at the factory, internal, locations.

If that's not what you meant, then I'm not clear exactly what you're doing or setting it up, so if you could be more explicit, that would be helpful in troubleshooting.

Edited by des99

10 minutes ago, des99 said:

Ok, so you are just moving one external sample drive between machines. YES

If so: The reason is, on your local Logic, you've "relocated" the content, so on your local installation, Logic has written all the aliases to point to the content on the external drive.

However, none of those aliases are set up on the second installation of Logic, so it's expecting all it's content to be at the factory, internal, locations.

If that's not what you meant, then I'm not clear exactly what you're doing or setting it up, so if you could be more explicit, that would be helpful in troubleshooting.

That is exactly what I am trying to do -- just take the external drive with all the samples on it - back and forth between two locations.  So with your explanation, I need to know who to have the 2nd Logic location recognize the aliases.

18 hours ago, lewisinkpress said:

That is exactly what I am trying to do -- just take the external drive with all the samples on it - back and forth between two locations.  So with your explanation, I need to know who to have the 2nd Logic location recognize the aliases.

I'm not sure you can point Logic to an already relocated library (I expect this has been discussed here before).

What you can do, as an example, assuming all your samples are in myDrive:/Samples/, is rename "Samples" to "SamplesTMP", then use Logic to redownload and relocate some small part of it's library to myDrive:/Samples/, so it writes the aliases pointing to that folder.

Then quit Logic, delete "Samples", and rename "SamplesTMP" back to "Samples", run Logic again, and check with the sound library manager than Logic can see all the expected content.

This has worked for me and others in the past.