Trigger Drum Instrument

GrabtharsHammer
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi guys,

I am using a software instrument (ML Drums) for drums. Because of the lack of a dedicated drum editor view in Logic Pro I use the grid editor of Toontrack's EZdrummer 3 to program the drums and trigger the other drum instrument. However, for this to work I have to have the record button on the drum instrument's channel constantly engaged, which is a little bit annoying because as soon as I select another channel to record guitars or do something else, the drums disappear. Am I doing something completely wrong? Is there a better way to do this so I don't have to have the record button of the drum instrument constantly engaged?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Edited by GrabtharsHammer

EZdrummer 3 sends MIDI on the output channel I selected in the inspector and the other Drum VSTi (or AUi... ;-) ) receives the MIDI on the selected input channel. The software monitoring works, but only when the record button on the drum instrument (ML Drums Essentials from ML Sound Lab) is enabled.

I really wish Logic had a dedicated drum editing view, but this is only available when using Logic's own Drum Kit Desginer. However, I couldn't get Drum Kit Designer to send MIDI to another channel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrabtharsHammer said:

As there a better way to do this so I don't have to have the record button of the drum instrument constantly engaged?

If you engage the record enable button on a track that is not the focused one, it will stay engaged. You will have to make sure though to not bring that track into focus again, because if you then deselect it it will often lose its record enable status again (I'm pretty sure that's a bug in Logic BTW).

Quick terminology lesson: In this screenshot, track 1 is the focused track (the "1" at the left side is highlighted) of which there can only be one, track 2 is a selected track (of which you can have an arbitrary number), track 3 is neither selected nor focused image.png.7741ce619413b9bdd7aec5d5b3ecfa5d.png

• Like 1

• Solution

Choose Window > Open MIDI Environment and in the layer pop-up menu (top left), choose Click & Ports. If you can see an EZ Drummer virtual port on the Physical Input object then you can cable it straight to the desired software instrument channel strip (Option-click the little triangle to the right of the virtual port name to assign it to the desired object in the desired layer). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

Choose Window > Open MIDI Environment and in the layer pop-up menu (top left), choose Click & Ports. If you can see an EZ Drummer virtual port on the Physical Input object then you can cable it straight to the desired software instrument channel strip (Option-click the little triangle to the right of the virtual port name to assign it to the desired object in the desired layer). 

Thank you, David. I will try this!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, polanoid said:

If you engage the record enable button on a track that is not the focused one, it will stay engaged. You will have to make sure though to not bring that track into focus again, because if you then deselect it it will often lose its record enable status again (I'm pretty sure that's a bug in Logic BTW).

Quick terminology lesson: In this screenshot, track 1 is the focused track (the "1" at the left side is highlighted) of which there can only be one, track 2 is a selected track (of which you can have an arbitrary number), track 3 is neither selected nor focused image.png.7741ce619413b9bdd7aec5d5b3ecfa5d.png

To be honest I did overlook that there's a difference between focused and selected tracks. Will try your workaround to enable the record button when the track is not focused. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1