Is Audio Interface required for Studio Headphones?

Hey y'all. I was thinking of buying AudioTechnica Ath M30X and some review guy got me confused. He said you need an audio interface cause laptop's own one is not designed to power up some gear like this.

Y'all got experience or knowledge about it? Does it make any notable difference? I can't get me an interface so it's either take the headphone or nah.

Thanks.

I confirm, not with the AT but with a sony7506 which need roughly the same amount of power, they work perfectly with my laptop mobile/holiday/setup. Which is a good thing as I don't have to carry an audio interface when I'm on the move (my car is not well suited for big luggage loads, I could not be a cello player...)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, David Nahmani said:

Those headphones have a low impedance (47 Ohms) so you'll be perfectly fine plugging them directly to your Mac's headphone output, no interface needed. 

GUYS!

I've changed my mind to get Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (16ohm). Would that be a problem? 16 is obviously lower than 47 but I don't know how this electrical thing work. Can i plug it into Macbook and start using right away?

I'm bout to place the order but first need y'all comment.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, djsnake said:

I've changed my mind to get Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (16ohm). Would that be a problem? 16 is obviously lower than 47 but I don't know how this electrical thing work. Can i plug it into Macbook and start using right away?

Yes, that's perfectly fine, if anything, with that lower impedance, they should be even louder. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, djsnake said:

Thanks y'all. I hope these are as detailed as Ath M20s. 

❤️

I'm personally a big fan of my DT 770 Pro, and I have the 80 Ohm version which works fine with my MacBook Air. Here's a great article comparing the DT 770 Pro and the Custom One Pro, if you're interested: 

https://xander51.medium.com/headphone-showdown-beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-53776ae37f64

• Wow! 1

Just now, djsnake said:

i was thinking of using Sonarworks Reference 4 to flatten the sound.

I don't recommend doing that, as that will create a set of new challenges.

Don't worry too much about the elusive "flat sound", there's no such thing. Pick a set of headphones and get used to them, that's the best way to learn to mix with them. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MikeRobinson said:

No matter what phones you buy, "you will get used to them."  They will allow you to hear details, at a reasonable volume.  As you then listen to the recordings on other types of playback equipment, you will learn how your phones relate to that.

Yeah sometimes i get caught up in things i hear like 'Industry Standard' 'Most Musical Sounding' etc. Just grab something with full freq response true stereo image and go, i think.