poly-metric click track

aleos

Hi all, 

alot of my compositon involves poly-metric stuff. Poly-metric in the sense of: two meteres at the same time. For instance, 4/4 and 7/4 whereas a measure in each meter begins and ends at the same time.  (i just give this explanation because there are varying interpretations of poly-metric)

I asked a few years ago on this forum how to do it with midi notes, and got given a great solution. 

I now want to record some guitar stuff myself, and my articulation isn’t quite up to the task of nailing it. 

So, say I record a bar in 4/4 to click.  Then I want to record a part on top of that in 7, with the click in 7. The exact same duration as the bar in 4/4.

Is there a way to do this, realtivley easily?  I mean, i of course could do the math by myslef, and find the exact tempo of the 2nd meter, but i feel that’s goign to get painful when i start adding up time sigs. Plus my math is the pits. 

cheers

A

Edited by aleos

There is a keycommand "Adjust Tempo using Region Length and Locators" that will quickly switch this for you. 

I would advise to practice in a dummy project or a copy of your project to make sure Logic doesn't screw up what you already have.

For MIDI you will also want to look into "Lock SMPTE position".

Practice doing this until you're comfortable with how Logic and your regions react to the tempo changes.

Edited by wonshu

That’s a great trick, thanks so much. I hadn’t thought of that function. I’ve never used before. Will see what happens. 
With midi, in these sort of experiments, for sure always smpte lock. It can get messy. I’ve been doing stuff like this for a while with midi. 

As I’m typing this, i think the easiest solution just popped into my head. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this. 😆

I’ll just make my own click in the score editor. 🤦🏽‍♂️