Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 1st gen buffer size, and when to replace interface?

Hi everyone, I wondered when most people replace their interface, as I am currently using an old Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 1st generation. 

In logic, I usually set my I/O buffer size to 64 for vocals with this interface, I worry where it is such an old one any lower could cause issues. If this is not the case and I can go lower it would be helpful if someone can clear that up for me? 

Also, it seems to work fine still, I use a USB type B to USB A cable as that's all I have, and a USB A to USB C converter at the end closest to my Mac. 

So really, would I need a newer interface to go lower than this, or is the trusty Scarlett still capable for my home recording needs? 

How low you can go really depends on your computer, and how hard it's working. If you are running loads of plugins etc, the extra load caused by a smaller buffer may mean your computer can't handle it.

Having said that, it looks like you are using a computer not dissimilar from mine, and I can run my little Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) at 32 generally without problems...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, des99 said:

How low you can go really depends on your computer, and how hard it's working. If you are running loads of plugins etc, the extra load caused by a smaller buffer may mean your computer can't handle it.

Having said that, it looks like you are using a computer not dissimilar from mine, and I can run my little Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) at 32 generally without problems...

I see, for some reason I thought it was to do with the interface, my bad. I have a 14 inch M1 Pro MBP so am fairly good in that area then, I will try 32 and see if it works OK for me. 

Fingers crossed it works as little things make me happy, I don't have active pickups in my guitars so the issue with the 1st gen input clipping doesn't happen, so the interface should last until I need more inputs or something then?