Does Logic have some kind of "internal" clipboard?

Danny Wyatt

When I start Logic for the first time, if I go to my Patches folder (in Finder), select a patch file, copy it, then go back to Logic and paste it, it will create a new track with that patch.

If I then copy a MIDI region (to the clipboard), then repeat the process of going to Finder, etc, once I hit CMD+V, it pastes the MIDI region, not the Patch  file, even though that file was the last thing I copied to the clipboard.

Once I close and restart Logic, every thing goes back to "normal", as if Logic flushes the clipboard.

Is this something Logic does internally? If so, is there a way to flush it while still working inside Logic without restarting it?

IMPORTANT NOTE:
It seems that copying and pasting a patch file only works with certain Logic versions. I have 10.6.3 and it works. Newer versions seem to not work. Anyone experience this behavior? If so, is there a way to go around this? I'm literally asking for a friend haha

Edited by Danny Wyatt

I've never heard of copy/pasting patches from the Finder to Logic Pro and I'm quite surprised it's worked at all.

Yes, Logic has its own internal clipboard. If you copy an audio region, then paste it, then go to the Finder and copy another audio file then go back to Logic then paste, you're pasting the original audio region, not the audio file you just copied in the Finder. Two separate clipboards.

However, it seems that if Logic's clipboard is empty then you can paste the contents of the Finder clipboard instead. So if you quit Logic and reopen it, and copy an audio file in the Finder, then you can paste it in your Logic project. 

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I've never heard of copy/pasting patches from the Finder to Logic Pro and I'm quite surprised it's worked at all.

Yes, Logic has its own internal clipboard. If you copy an audio region, then paste it, then go to the Finder and copy another audio file then go back to Logic then paste, you're pasting the original audio region, not the audio file you just copied in the Finder. Two separate clipboards.

However, it seems that if Logic's clipboard is empty then you can paste the contents of the Finder clipboard instead. So if you quit Logic and reopen it, and copy an audio file in the Finder, then you can paste it in your Logic project. 

But is there a way to clear that clipboard internally without restarting Logic? I noticed that if I have nothing selected and I hit CMD+C it does the same thing, but I was wondering if there was an “official” menu option or something like that?

Have you tried copying and pasting a Patch yourself, once you open Logic? Another user with a newer version would like to know if it’s only him having that issue of not being able to paste. He can drag and drop them, though. Let me know. 

Edited by Danny Wyatt

1 hour ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I noticed that if I have nothing selected and I hit CMD+C it does the same thing, but I was wondering if there was an “official” menu option or something like that?

No, as far as I know copying nothing is the only way. 

1 hour ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Have you tried copying and pasting a Patch yourself, once you open Logic?

Yes, and it does not work here in 10.7.4. Drag and drop works. 

It means you can automate adding patches from a searchable prompt list (via a Keyboard Maestro macro, for example), which Danny is able to do and @speakerfoodis attempting to incorporate into PlugSearch. 

I can do it too, but it means having to automate revealing the patch in the Finder and then dragging it to the track header, which is clunky. 

image.gif.8e2efb828b402719ee46c5970d9efad7.gif

Edited by noisyneil
  • Like 1