Deleting Pitch Bend Events

TheUncannyValley

Logic Pro X 10.4.4:
I deleted pitch bend events from this region in MIDI Draw and watched them disappear from the Event List. However, the region still showed active Region Automation (the red arrow).

I found the pitch bend events in the Step Editor (red circle). Deleting them from the Step Editor lane did the trick.

* Is this how I should always delete Pitch Bend events, or could this be a bug in my project? Curious. Thanks.

1308275096_LPXPitchBendEvents.thumb.jpg.11f8f772a373ac68b522558ba151ceca.jpg

Interesting that you are using the step editor to delete the pitch bend events. I've never deleted MIDI events using the step editor though as you've pointed out, apparently it is an option. I can't say that there is a right or wrong way to accomplish what you're doing. But if you go to the Piano roll you should be able to select any MIDI event from there and delete it there as well and I don't "think" you'll still see the events in the track area if you do it that way. Give that a try though.

1323014158_ScreenShot2022-10-06at7_37_38PM.png.f9e01a642b62f7e2d110c3404f7c4191.png

Regarding your question of a bug, I'd ask, "Do you still hear pitch bends in the area that you say you deleted the events?" If you don't hear the events, it may possibly be a UI redraw issue or bug as you'd call it. If you do still hear the events, I'd suggest removing the desired events from the Piano roll as I've never had any issues as you've described doing that way.

I have Logic 10.4 on my Macbook and I am not seeing the issue. Needless to say, if it is a bug; it's doubtful that it's anything that will be done about it since the latest version is now 10.7

But let's see what others have to say.

• Like 1

I was able to reproduce your issues with a duplicate region ( named the same) one region overlapped onto the other... any chance that could be your issue?.... ( in the event list hit the up arrow to see the region name and see if there is duplicate "Blue II No Pitch Bend" ) - just an  thought

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 4:51 PM, Maestro777 said:

Interesting that you are using the step editor to delete the pitch bend events. I've never deleted MIDI events using the step editor though as you've pointed out, apparently it is an option. I can't say that there is a right or wrong way to accomplish what you're doing. But if you go to the Piano roll you should be able to select any MIDI event from there and delete it there as well and I don't "think" you'll still see the events in the track area if you do it that way. Give that a try though.

1323014158_ScreenShot2022-10-06at7_37_38PM.png.f9e01a642b62f7e2d110c3404f7c4191.png

Regarding your question of a bug, I'd ask, "Do you still hear pitch bends in the area that you say you deleted the events?" ...

Needless to say, if it is a bug; it's doubtful that it's anything that will be done about it since the latest version is now 10.7

Yes, I did still hear the pitch bends after deleting the pitch bend events from the MIDI Draw area (like those shown in your screenshot pasted above). And when I initially deleted the MIDI draw events, I watched them disappear from the Event List. (Note, just in case anyone notices it and wonders...in the screenshot I attached to my original post, the catch playhead icon is not active, but it *was* active when I initially deleted the events from MIDI Draw.)

I'm cool with it even if it is a bug in 10.4.4, and I'm specifically trying to use the Step Editor more anyway. My Logic focus these days is on mastering the environment and I don't want to get sidetracked with Live Loops and the Sampler/Quick Sampler, etc.

Thanks for your reply.

1 hour ago, volovicg said:

Care to upload your project so I can check it out ?

This is embarrassing. It wont let me attach the LPX project file as is. When I try, all of its constituent parts are listed as separate attachments. Any suggestions?

P.S. Apparently I had a brain cramp when I read your first reply which is why I didn't reply right away. Once I realized what you were saying, I checked the Event List's Region Level and did not see a duplicate of that MELODY: Blue II... region in question. FYI

Edited by TheUncannyValley
For Clarity

Try this please

1/ Close logic or do a "save a copy as" and save to a new name ( don't do  a save as)

2/ in finder select the logic project you just saved - or the normal one if you shut logic down  and right click on the file and choose compress.

3/ now attach the compressed (zipped file to the thread using the drag files here to attach method or using the choose files link.

• Like 1