Tape WOW effect using a delay

Danny Wyatt

Before you sacrifice me with "you can achieve this with the Tape Delay's Modulation > LFO section", I have to say that:
1 - It doesn't sound the same to my ears
2 - This can be applied to a delay that doesn't have the Modulation > LFO section (the Tape Delay plugin seems to sound better, because of the Smoothing option, though).

Using the Tape Delay as an example, here are the settings you need to copy and then insert it as... an insert:
danny-wyatt-tape-wow-effect.png.cb808e057315d3f4dfedc3711d790a4d.png

Important things that make this work so you can replicate with other delay plugins (as long as there's some kind of "Deviation" option, because that moves the pitch very subtly):
1 - Feedback set to 0
2 - Delay time set to the fastest speed to make it smooth
3 - Smoothing set to something other than 0 to make it... well, smooth, you know?

Now grab that Deviation value and drag it subtly up and down and record that automation. Like this:
danny-wyatt-tape-wow-effect.gif.c0c3a60515cb6cdde7500dd75c30b268.gif

And there you go! You're back to the old days without using 3rd party plugins (the way I just love it!)

If this is an Instrument track, you can assign the Deviation to some random automation by using the Modulator MIDI FX, like this:
danny-wyatt-tape-wow-effect-modulator.png.e5ea1a7b2dda06df820b7f09cc95ad69.png

Here's the project with the Modulator:
Danny Wyatt - WOW Tape Effect.zip

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

This is great, thanks for sharing!

I first scanned your post super quickly and the first thought I had while downloading and trying your project was "you can achieve this with the Tape Delay's Modulation > LFO section"!! 🤣

Then I played with it and I realized that it doesn't sound the same to my ears either, it can be used for other plug-ins (I know, that's what you just said - great minds etc...), and much more: 

• It can be synced to the project tempo.
  • It can use various LFO forms (square, sine, random, triangle).
  • The waveforms can be smoothed.
  • You can adjust steps by LFO cycle.
  • You can use the Modulator envelope instead of (or on top of) the LFO. 

Tons of additional tools to play with! 😃

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

the first thought I had while downloading and trying your project was "you can achieve this with the Tape Delay's Modulation > LFO section"!! 🤣

But of course!!! hahaha

23 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

it doesn't sound the same to my ears either

Yeah, it definitely doesn't. It sounds more natural and less cyclical. I guess if you modulate both the LFO intensity and the speed, maybe you can achieve something similar, because it's basically what it is doing when you do it manually. But yeah, it sounds better using this method.

And yes, all the other options you mentioned are great. As long as we love being creative, it's all about creating different approaches.

Glad you liked this one :)