moving library and loops - symlinks no longer seem to work?

simeonharris

hi there. i recently upgraded my machine to monterey and logic to version 10.7.4. i had symlinks made for the logic and garageband folders in the application support folder, which pointed to an external hard drive. i also had one for the apple loops folder. they all broke after the installation, so i remade them, but they wouldn't stick - every time i installed any missing content, they were overwritten. i then attempted to use the "relocate library" option in logic itself, which seemed to work, as it created new symlinks in the process. unfortunately, they don't stick either. they're overwritten by installing any new content. is there anything i can do to solve this?

edit: i should have said, i'm creating the symlinks in terminal using "sudo ln -s"

when i get info on the symlink folders, they are described as an "alias", which is odd

many thanks

sim

Edited by simeonharris

problem is, i kinda already tried this but using "relocate library" to move everything to a different external drive. logic created new symlinks in the process...i watched it happening. i'm wondering if it's a bug, but i haven't seen other reports of this happening while looking online for a solution.

i suppose what you suggest is probably the next thing i should try.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi. I found this thread when investigating this topic in regard to Apple Loops re-location/re-linking to an external drive and symlinks etc. Something has changed in Monterey and the manual symlink method is not working for me either. New content overwrites the symlink and all is screwed.

I managed to avoid some re-downloading etc for the actual library stuff, and just deal with the SLM not recognising that I have stuff installed, but for the Apple Loops there is no "in house" relocation option that I know of, so I went for the symlink method again, and it does not work on my setup.

I'm wondering whether it needs to be a "hard link" instead - which I recall reading about a while back, but I'm not sure what the deal is with that...can't remember now.

Quick moan: I've been on Logic for about 15 years now, and still Apple have never sorted out a proper library management system for the library and loops - it's pretty appalling I say. It's not that challenging to implement a standard "where are your Apple Loops" functionality within Logic?.....

hmmmm... well - yeah maybe - I'd be curious to know! Anyway, for the time being I have moved the Apple Loops back to my system drive so everything can be tidy, even though I would rather not stream audio from the system drive ;-(

I may look into the "hard link" thing again and try that for the Apple Loops sometime.

Thank you for replying here on this 😉

just to quickly follow up - i can confirm that installing new apple loops overwrites the symlink to the loops folder. you can "get info" on the folder and hit the "locked" checkbox and this stops logic overwriting the folder, but no new loops can be installed until you unlock it. that'll prevent it happening without you knowing, though.

Edited by simeonharris