ADAT problem in Logic X Pro

Jan Krofta
Go to solution Solved by Jan Krofta,

Hi, 

I am using Logic X Pro with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3gen for a while. Now I wanted expand possibilities. So I bought Cranborne 500 ADAT. And I connected everything by manuals and some guide videos. I set up clock and same bitrate. I made everything what was described, but inputs from ADAT are not in Logic. I presume that something wrong is between the Focusrite Control and Logic. Because you can see working levels on these channels and you can also listen signal when you use "custom mix" I am still waiting for some answers from technical support of both companies, so I am trying to ask there. Have anybody any idea?

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3gen; Cranborne Audio 500 ADAT; Logic X Pro; MacBook Pro 16inch M1Max

Thank you 

Jan

17 minutes ago, Jan Krofta said:

inputs from ADAT are not in Logic.

What do you see exactly in Logic? How many inputs do you have access to? 

What I would recommend is that you create a new empty project in Logic with as many mono audio tracks as you have mono inputs available, using ascending inputs. R-enable them all and see if you can see any level on any of them. Like this (for example if you can access 18 inputs in Logic Pro): 

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.37.53 AM.png

Also set your monitoring like this: 

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.39.04 AM.png

• Like 1

Thank you I will try it... but in Logic I can se all twenty channels which they are available from Scarlet expanded by ADAT. But when I choose any from ADATchannels like input and I know that here is a signal, because I see the measure of signal on level in Focusrite Control software and I can also listen this signal from custom mix there, signal not comes into Logic...

6 minutes ago, Jan Krofta said:

Thank you I will try it... but in Logic I can se all twenty channels which they are available from Scarlet expanded by ADAT. But when I choose any from ADATchannels like input and I know that here is a signal, because I see the measure of signal on level in Focusrite Control software and I can also listen this signal from custom mix there, signal not comes into Logic...

That is why I suggest you create the 20 tracks and record-enable them all. Because it's possible that the tracks aren't numbered in the same way in the Focusrite software and in Logic. At least if you have all the tracks set up and R-enabled, you can see if any of them shows any signal, even if it's not the one you expect. I can't guarantee it will work but it's a good test to try. 

• Solution

Your Idea of multiple recording test was GREAT! It is interesting for me. ADAT Outputs are as Logic received from driver and as is described in manual. But inputs to the Logic are shifted about two... It means that driver sent info that ADAT 1 input is input 13 (and in the Scarlett manual is described same) but in real is on input 11. Same with other channels. Now it WORKS! Thantk you David. It was really helpfull. And maybe it will helps to somebody else!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem but a little different.
I can't hear some of my ADAT channels through Logic Pro.
From 1 to 4 it's ok. When I push the R button, I can hear them.
From 5 to 8 I can see the levels moving up on the ADAT display, but when I hit the R button on Logic Pro, no sound for them.

By the way, I'm using 2 Scarlett 18i20. One as the main one and the second as an ADAT.
I already did the test suggested by David Nahmani.

Any suggestions?

Captura de Tela 2024-01-27 às 22.29.04.png

12 hours ago, rAC said:

Your screenshot shows the Dual ADAT as disabled is that the problem?

rAC - The Dual ADAT isn't disabled. 
I Believe you must be referring about the RETAIN 48V function which indeed is disabled.
That function is just for retaining the 48V 1-4 or 5-6 buttons turned on, when I shut Scarlett off and on again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 2:32 AM, Rodrigo Bettencourt said:

I already did the test suggested by David Nahmani.

How many tracks did you R-enable (or record) simultaneously? 

10 minutes ago, Rodrigo Bettencourt said:

But all of them have their input display moving on Scarlett.

Do you also see them moving in the Scarlett software? Can you see which channels they are?

10 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

How many tracks did you R-enable (or record) simultaneously? 

Do you also see them moving in the Scarlett software? Can you see which channels they are? 

20 tracks are R-enabled.
If you mean the Focusrite Control software, It happens the same. It moves from 1-4 but not 5-8. ADAT channels are from 11-18
FC.thumb.png.24fe130d065f1b2ef99ad643afe6a0a9.png

9 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok make sure the Scarlett you're using as an ADAT preamp is properly set up as standalone and has its 8 mic preamps routed to the corresponding ADAT outputs? 

See: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003394169-Using-Standalone-Mode-to-increase-your-channel-count

I'm checking everything again. But here is a pic of the connection between them.

Abrir Adat connection.png

Done!
There were some config mistakes on my expansion device:
I had wrongly configured both clocks inverted: internal on my host and ADAT on my expansion. It must be the other way around.
Also the ADAT channels 5-8 weren't configured to its respective analogue 5-8 as it should. 

The support articles links you've sent helped me to configure it properly.
Thank you very much @David Nahmani

• Like 2