10.7.5 32bit float not happening

ideaph

It seems like, even though Logic can now import a 32 bit float file w/o converting it to 24, it still can't DO anything with it- I imported the Sound Devices example file to check it out, and adjusting the clip gain does not recover the peaks, as Audition/ Rx/ Ocenaudio/ etc.... do. It only lowers the level of the clipped file, as before when Logic converted to 24 bit. So I thought fine- maybe this can't be accomplished w/ region gain, and only in the file editor (which makes sense, actually) - BUT then opening the file editor for this clip, all of the functions are greyed out, so you can't do any operations on the file.

Am I missing something here? Does the 32bit support need to be enabled somewhere? Otherwise the new "32 bit float support" is essentially useless if we can't use logic to manipulate the file directly- still have to do this in an external editor... sigh....

Oh- here's the link to the Sound Devices sample files-

https://www.sounddevices.com/sample-32-bit-float-and-24-bit-fixed-wav-files/

Hej,

interesting. I checked that files as well. When using Region Gain to attenuate 30db, the sound is without any distortion. It looks wrong, but it sounds right. And you are right: There is no Gain-attenuation in the file editor. But if you use Selection Based Processing and the Gain-plugin to attenuate that amount, everything is working great. Even the waveform looks right after the processing.

By the way: I checked in Pro Tools. Some strange stuff happening there. Importing the 32bit-wav makes two mono-tracks. No big deal. Using clipgain, it's the same as in Logic: It looks wrong, sounds right. Then I testet audio-suite and tried to attenuate 30db with the PT-Gain-plugin, and there is noticeable distortion in that file afterwards. So, not everything is green on the other side...

Cheers,

Just another observation: In Logic that Selection Based Processing works with (nearly) any plugin. I tried to attenuate via Pro Q3 and other plugins. That seemed to work. (I only found one instance that didn't work: UADs API Vision Emulation. Don't know, why it didn't work with this plugin. Other UAD-plugins worked.)

In Pro Tools most plugins didn't work including Avids own ones. I only found one company that did work: Izotope. So there. 

Maybe that has something to do with internal processing? Maybe some plugins don't use floating-point-calculation? 

So, cheers

Jan