different types of system overloads?

kovacs_miki

Guys I was wondering, there's the "standard" system overload in Logic, when the playback stops and you get the system overload message. But i'm also encountering another type, in which case the playback just restarts from the point it was started originally. 
I switched to a new interface recently, from an Apollo Twin to the Prism Lyra 2.(night and day difference, frankly the apollo converters are subpar imo). but with the Lyra 2, i have this thing when sometimes i start the playback and after 1-2 seconds the playback would restart 2-3 times and usually the 3rd time it continues as it's supposed to. While it's playing back the cpu is nowhere close to being maxed out and once the playback starts successfully it never unwantedly stops or stars again. I'm using an M1 Max mac studio so have plenty of cpu headroom. 
I'm thinking this might be something about the Lyra 2 not communicating fast enough with the mac? cause it's clear that the cpu itself is not the issue. 

Did anyone else encounter something similar? or someone knows whats the difference between the regular overload with the message and this playback restarting type of "overload"?

Logic was a bit buggy in this regard for a while, a few people were seeing false/repeated starts or playback stuttering in some cases I remember. If you're on Monterey, then I'd suggest updating to a current version of Logic and seeing whether the issue persists. (Back up your 10.6 version of Logic first, so you don't lose access to it.)

It's not a question of different types of overloads, though. The engine can either render the necessary audio in time, in which case you get uninterrupted playback, or it can't, in which case it stops/complains. (Save for disk throughput.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kovacs_miki said:

In case anyone has a similar problem: going back to Logic 10.7.0 solved it for me. 
So after all it looks like it wasn't an issue with the Prism Lyra, but something with the new Logic updates..

seems, from everything you've posted on this thread that it is the lyra, running in 10.7.5. you might contact prismsound about this...

might be, but my guess is that I probably updated logic around the same time I got the Lyra. altough can't remember exactly. The reason I tried downgrading now, is that I read on another forum, someone having similar playback issues, and for him downgrading Logic solved it as well. He was using apollos and focusrites..
Seems to me these last few Logic updates are just not on the top of their game when it comes to reliability. I also had another minor issue, being that sometimes plugin presets would take 2-3 seconds to load. That's also gone on 10.7.0. 

53 minutes ago, kovacs_miki said:

might be, but my guess is that I probably updated logic around the same time I got the Lyra. altough can't remember exactly. The reason I tried downgrading now, is that I read on another forum, someone having similar playback issues, and for him downgrading Logic solved it as well. He was using apollos and focusrites..
Seems to me these last few Logic updates are just not on the top of their game when it comes to reliability. I also had another minor issue, being that sometimes plugin presets would take 2-3 seconds to load. That's also gone on 10.7.0. 

no issues of note here on 10.7.5. or, for that matter, any of the updates since 10.7.0 (outside of some issues with the ventura beta). not sure what's not 'on top of their game'.... but glad you're back to work.