my whole career of music production gone

ColbyKeyz

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

First of all, very sorry to hear, this is a horrible situation to be in. 

Now normally updating macOS shouldn't affect your data. Do you have any idea of what may have occurred? Are the drives not mounting, or are they mounting but showing up as completely empty?

mounting but showing up as completely empty

17 minutes ago, ColbyKeyz said:

mounting but showing up as completely empty

updating your OS does not erase external drives (much less 3 of them). which imac? if this is an INTEL imac, you can try: eject the drives, shut down. unplug everything, including the power cable, for about 15 seconds. this resets the SMC (the power manager). there are other things you can try (like resetting NVRAM). you can also call apple. your data should be there.

Edited by fisherking

This is horrendous if the data really has gone. I had a hard drive the other week that whenever I plugged it in, it was restarting my mac and not letting it boot. I tried it on another mac, and it did the same to that mac. 

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

How did you update macOS exactly? What steps did you take? 

I believe it was you who helped me? In the end I just switched the hard drive inside the external case and things were OK with the new drive. 

I know this doesn't help but I know hard drives can do funky things that apparently shouldn't happen. 

• Like 1

am confused. what do you mean you ' switched the hard drive inside the external case and things were OK with the new drive'... is this the main drive (ie where the system resides?)

3 external drives do not erase themselves, or get erased by an OS update... unless you've done something to erase them.

how did the SMC reset go? the safe boot? and call apple if you need to; hard to tell from here what's actually happened...

On 11/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, conanthewarrior said:

I believe it was you who helped me? In the end I just switched the hard drive inside the external case and things were OK with the new drive. 

It may be, I remember doing that once for a client and we were able to recover the data on the drive. 

However here, there are two things that are very odd: 

1. The fact that @ColbyKeyz ties the loss of data with the macOS update (they shouldn't be related).
  2. The fact that data disappeared simultaneously on 3 externals and 1 internal drive. 

So far I can't think of anything that could explain that. 

On 11/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, fisherking said:

am confused. what do you mean you ' switched the hard drive inside the external case and things were OK with the new drive'... is this the main drive (ie where the system resides?)

@conanthewarrior is not the OP. It's a different story. 

• Like 1

Normally is possible to restore deleted data even from formatted disk. I suggest you to contact a digital forensics studio in your country. that can help you with this matter. I’ve done it personally in forensic studio. Is not easy, but possible. Don’t try to copy files because if not you are going to destroy hidden data. Just don’t touch them until a digital forensic studio try to recover your data. This is what I suggest you. Could cost a bit. Consider also that “nightmares” like this, in life can give us a chance to start everything new, with different energy. Good luck 

43 minutes ago, fisherking said:

He means take the drive unit out of the case/enclosure of the external drive, and put it into another enclosure. I've had drives where the enclosure/interface failed, but the drive itself is fine, and swapping the drive into another enclosure made the drive accessible again.

1 minute ago, des99 said:

He means take the drive unit out of the case/enclosure of the external drive, and put it into another enclosure. I've had drives where the enclosure/interface failed, but the drive itself is fine, and swapping the drive into another enclosure made the drive accessible again.

really, i know that. i was trying to connect that to the OP, and missed that these are 2 different people.

the OP needs to dive back in here, we're trying to help. 3 drives don't just erase themselves (am guessing they're not APFS formatted...) 

• Like 1

Replying to the original issue. Very likely the drives are fine. Your files are not gone. Don't do ANYTHING to the drives yet: Check them on another computer, particularly one NOT running Monterey or Ventura.

There is a problem with external SSDs on Monterey / Ventura, they mount but seem empty, or they mount and operate at very slow speeds (so an empty Finder window is really just the contents taking hours to load). Or they just don't mount. Disk utilities repair will fail with weird errors. BUT NOTHING IS WRONG. 

I'm having this problem with multiple external SSDs, the drives work perfectly fine on all other macs (verified on four different systems) but NOT on the Macbook Pro M1 running Monterey. It is ONLY on this system the drives struggle. No amount of ports/cables/hubs/combos make any difference. The problem is the SYSTEM, not the drives. The drives are fine.

There are multiple threads/posts on it, google "Monterey external SSD problem" it looks to me lots of people have the problem, and no clear solution. I'm not on Ventura but from googling that it doesn't look like it's fixed so I'm assuming this could be what's happening to you accessing the drives. Your data might be okay.

But holy s#!+, no backups, what on earth are you thinking! If no this time, then sometime. The drives WILL fail! (And in my case - in this situaion, my backups of the SSDs were on mechanical HDs, now I could just flip around the source and the backup, and keep working on the HD drives instead of the SSDs while Apple sorts out this mess 😉 )

Edited by dundergufs
Typo, clarification
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow! 1

49 minutes ago, dundergufs said:

There is a problem with external SSDs on Monterey / Ventura,

Ive been reading threads on Mac Rumours about this very thing. Very scary. There's too many people with issues to ignore it. I wanted to move to Monterey but waiting on NI compatibility. Meanwhile this mess comes up so I'll be sitting tight on Big Sur.

6 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

Ive been reading threads on Mac Rumours about this very thing. Very scary. There's too many people with issues to ignore it.

Could you post a link to this thread? I've been searching around the Macrumours forums, in the Ventura and Monterey forums at least, and can't see any threads about external drive failures, and I'd like to read up on it... thanks.

22 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I suppose this is it

Thanks - on a quick scan through the thread, the issues there are either drives not mounting, or mounted drives randomly spinning up/down or disconnecting/un-mounting randomly - it seems there are a bunch of different issues, including people who fixed theirs by changing USB cables etc, so it's hard to pick out any single drive problem from there.

In any case, there weren't any issues relating to mounted drives appearing empty, so I don't think just because other people have experienced drive issues, it's necessarily related to this.

Unless @Dynamic_Notes is referring to a different thread, of course...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobertAnthony said:

It only takes one time losing all your data to get serious abt data back up. I lost a drive years ago and all my music work up until that point got Thanos Snapped out of existence lol.

I’ve got 2 copies of my data (3 including on my system) all on separate physical drives, and I still kinda want another redundancy.

Sadly not always true, I’ve dealt with lots of customers who, despite having lost all of their data in the past, still don’t backup. 

• Like 3

Update don't  destroy  data in external disks.  Even during the (re)installation of the operating system, special commands must be given for this to happen.

But there will be arise permission problem.  You can see that the disk is empty because there are no entries that belong to you. But this does not mean that the disk is actually empty.

command "chown"  helps.  https://linux.die.net/man/1/chown

example: sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /Volumes/nameofdrive

without sudo  it will not help.

Edited by olavsu1
typos...
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dundergufs said:

Replying to the original issue. Very likely the drives are fine. Your files are not gone. Don't do ANYTHING to the drives yet: Check them on another computer, particularly one NOT running Monterey or Ventura.

I spent a while yesterday trying to get to the bottom of why an external drive had stopped mounting. Worked fine on my Linux machine, but just would not copy data onto the Mac. I'm on v13.0. This is a amazing problem to be running across two versions of OSX. Does suggest the OP's problems are down to the OS rather than the HDDs.

33 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

I spent a while yesterday trying to get to the bottom of why an external drive had stopped mounting. Worked fine on my Linux machine, but just would not copy data onto the Mac. I'm on v13.0. This is a amazing problem to be running across two versions of OSX. Does suggest the OP's problems are down to the OS rather than the HDDs.

what's the format of your external drive? & what OS are you on?

i've never had this problem with my external drives and my macs (from the mac os extended days to the APFS present).

1 minute ago, fisherking said:

what's the format of your external drive? & what OS are you on?

i've never had this problem with my external drives and my macs (from the mac os extended days to the APFS present).

As I said in my original post I'm on 13.0.

HD is a verbatim USB3 drive, FAT format, using an A-type plug.  Was working fine on an old Macbook (2012 with an old version of OSX). Actually, worked OK on my M1 machine until I updated to v13. Last few days. was constantly telling me it had been incorrectly ejected when it was just sat there doing nowt. It's been used on my Linux machine all day without issue.

Have a read through this thread, it's clearly an issue.

2 minutes ago, fisherking said:

Same here. but this will happen when updating how users are identified. Things on disks that are not touched by the update, become foreign, ownership will lost.

/*This has happened to a variety of penguins. with the difference that the existence of the files can be seen, but there are no rights to open them*/

19 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

As I said in my original post I'm on 13.0.

HD is a verbatim USB3 drive, FAT format, using an A-type plug.  Was working fine on an old Macbook (2012 with an old version of OSX). Actually, worked OK on my M1 machine until I updated to v13. Last few days. was constantly telling me it had been incorrectly ejected when it was just sat there doing nowt. It's been used on my Linux machine all day without issue.

Have a read through this thread, it's clearly an issue.

your best bet would be to copy everything from that drive to a new drive, formatted specifically for mac (as APFS). FAT is not a mac format. 

how old is the verbatim drive? bear in mind that mechanical drives have a finite lifespan. if it's 5, 7 years old... i would tuck it in a drawer somewhere....

23 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

Same here. but this will happen when updating how users are identified. Things on disks that are not touched by the update, become foreign, ownership will lost.

/*This has happened to a variety of penguins. with the difference that the existence of the files can be seen, but there are no rights to open them*/

promise me that 'penguins' is not a translation error. because i firmly believe the issue has affected penguins; a variety of them... 👍

• Haha 1