Using Plugins That Failed Validation - Cause for Concern?

Ocorra

Hi Friends!

I recently upgraded my production machine to a 16 inch M1 Max MBP. I'm installing all my plugins and came across an interesting one...

After installing the Soundspot Bundle of FX plugins and restarting Logic, it notified me that 'Logic Pro encountered 10 Audio Unit Plugins which did not pass the Apple AU validation. These plugins have ben excluded from further use in Logic Pro to prevent possible problems or crashes etc etc'. I'm sure we've all encountered that pop-up before.

However, when I go into the plugin manager where these plugins are, of course, noted as 'validation failed', all I have to do is check the 'Use' checkbox to the right and I can go ahead and use them in Logic. They all seem to be working just fine.

So my first question is whether or not I am taking any risks by using plugins that failed validation?

Secondly, I have no idea why these plugins are even working as, according to Plugin Boutique, they are only working on Intel processors. I'm running Logic in Universal mode, not Rosetta, so surely these plugins shouldn't be working at all?

If anyone can shed any light on both of these questions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave.

Edited by Ocorra

• Ocorra changed the title to Using Plugins That Failed Validation - Cause for Concern?

If you have Logic running under Rosetta, Logic is running only Intel code, and will only show and run Intel plugins.

When you run Logic natively, Logic will run as Apple silicon code, and all Apple silicon plugins will run as Apple silicon code, and any plugins which don't have Apple silicon code (ie they only have Intel code) - *those* plugins alone will run under Rosetta.

Note that Rosetta isn't as such "running in the background" - Rosetta is a one time that process that will translate, and save, the Intel code into code the M1 can run. Rosetta is that translation process - once the code is translated, Rosetta isn't itself running or doing anything. It's not like an emulation layer that is running the Intel code inside.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adinfiitumband said:

I thought that if you have Intel plugins, then you needed to run Logic by checking the Open Rosetta 2 Box under Get Info.

It's a common misconception. On Apple silicon, with Logic running natively, native plugins are run in the AUHostingService, and Intel-only plugins are run (using Rosetta) in AUHostingCompatabilityService, so you can mix them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, des99 said:

It's a common misconception. On Apple silicon, with Logic running natively, native plugins are run in the AUHostingService, and Intel-only plugins are run (using Rosetta) in AUHostingCompatabilityService, so you can mix them.

Wow. I’ve watched YT videos and read support articles from some high profile plugin manufacturers who don’t seem to have wrapped their head around that. 

With regards to my other question, can I take it that despite the warnings that Logic gives you, that there’s no real risk associated with running plugins that failed validation on an M1 machine if I have been running them under Intel without any issues for years?

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Ocorra said:

can I take it that despite the warnings that Logic gives you, that there’s no real risk associated with running plugins that failed validation on an M1 machine if I have been running them under Intel without any issues for years?

I can't really give you an answer regarding that - plugins have bugs that may or may not manifest themselves, and every one of the thousands of plugins out there might behave differently. The only potential risk is stuff crashing or behaving poorly.

However, if they are current versions of plugins, it would be worth contacting their support teams who may be able to get them working properly for you.

• Like 1