Ventura 13.0.1 - Logic 10.7.5 stuck on Sound Library process

niteboatermusic

background: my music Mac was working fine for months on Big Sur / Monterey and associated Logic versions.

Fast forward to present: now on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 running Logic 10.7.5, app crashing on launch...

T/shooting:

a. removed all plugins

b. deleted Logic pref files

c. no wireless anything

d. no dock, no external monitors. Reduced to 99% Apple tech only.

e. launches in Safe Mode - a place to start

g. left the external drive connected - where I housed my Logic Sound Library -

h. determined it is in series with the issue as in,  if I remove the drive, suddenly 10.7.5 launches

Now Im trying to recreate my Sound Library setup and the 10.7.5 app dialogs point to a "reset" function that should lead to ability to launch with the ext drive connected. But app wont launch. So Ive left the ext drive disconnected and hope to use the Sound Library menu function(s) to recover, I have another external drive that has never been used before w Logic. 

As I understand the "reinstall sound library" option - this should be coded to install only to the Mac itself. Ok, fair enough. 

Sadly, if it's working, it provides no visual feedback, ie, progress bar, or even dialogs. Couldn't corroborate this on internet, perhaps your setup does provide installation feedback as most Apple apps, processes normally do. If I leave it on and connected to Gigabit ethernet (974Mbps) it still refuses to tell me if it's done. 

In any case, if it were done, coding should be such that, once complete in downloading the Sound Library, it should present new menu options, especially the one to relocate to an external drive. But it never does....

So I tried to reinstall Logic Pro and this changed nothing. 

I just got commissioned to write music for two new songs, need this setup working again asap, what am I missing? 

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 1.48.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 10.33.45 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 10.33.56 AM.png

10 hours ago, niteboatermusic said:

Sadly, if it's working, it provides no visual feedback, ie, progress bar, or even dialogs.

In Logic Pro, when you have a Logic project open, the progress bar is displayed as a thin blue line at the bottom of the LCD display in the Control bar. You can click that thin blue line in order to see more information about the current process. 

• Like 1

cant remember ever having to modify my account type to use an Apple capable app. 

But - apparently the rationale is that now user's are expected to upgrade their accounts from standard to Admin - in order to use an app. Unbelievable, and a gross security concern. Why they didn't code a temp pop up, as we have seen for decades on Windows and Mac computers, is mind boggling. Be that as it may, after I upgraded my standard account to admin, I was then able to see the other Sound Library menu options, and relocate my Sound Library as before to external hardware. Issue resolved for now. HTH anybody wading thru this...

Edited by niteboatermusic

Permissions and sandbox problems can be a hassle for many. It's the inconvenience we pay for security, but for sure it's inconvenient at times. Likely your standard account didn't have permissions to access the parts of the filesystem necessary, not that you need an Admin account as such - the admin account was just a quick fix. But at least you've sorted it.

(I can't imagine *not* running on an admin account personally, it would just add extra inconveniences and as it is, I have to authenticate for plenty of things. The extra security risks are not a big deal for me, imo.)

Edited by des99