Logic Pro X 10.4.4 Crash when click to change REGION name (OS Ventura 13.0.1)

Jan Steurrijs

I need to run Logic Pro X 10.4.4 because all the updated versions fail when exporting to midi. Recently I updated my OS to Ventura 13.0.1 and now Logic crash every time I click in the upper left box to change the region name. Who has the same experience of nows how to solve this problem?

As far as I can see now, all the other functions I use seems to work fine.

I run Ventura 13.0.1 on a iMac Pro Intel Xeon 18 cores (2017).

Edited by Jan Steurrijs
Expand info

Unfortunately, 10.4.4 is more compatible for me than all other newer versions. Since 10.4.5 we cannot export to midi without failures. With 10.4.4 all functions we need are perfect. The only thing what causes an error with Ventura is that we cannot change the region name :(. All other functions seems work as it was on Big Sur. We only use the Midi functionality inside Logic and only use external instruments.

Now I also run 10.7.5 but I can't use this version either. It's a hell using this one when exporting to Midi. For that we have to use 10.4.4 :(.

39 minutes ago, Jan Steurrijs said:

It's a hell using this one when exporting to Midi.

So, again: What exactly goes wrong when exporting MIDI with version 10.4.5 and up?

40 minutes ago, Jan Steurrijs said:

Unfortunately, 10.4.4 is more compatible for me than all other newer versions.

Here, 10.4.4 crashes under Ventura as soon as I import an Audio File. So there are definitely incompatibility issues with Ventura that will never be fixed because, you know, Apple will never release a Ventura compatibility version of 10.4.4...

46 minutes ago, Jan Steurrijs said:

Now I also run 10.7.5 but I can't use this version either. It's a hell using this one when exporting to Midi.

No it's not. I'm doing this all the time and have no issues. So, instead of generalized statements like this, could you pleas be more specific? It is very likely that someone on this forum will be able to help you.

13 hours ago, polanoid said:

No it's not. I'm doing this all the time and have no issues. So, instead of generalized statements like this, could you pleas be more specific? It is very likely that someone on this forum will be able to help you.

Exporting to midi with version 10.4.5 and above goes wrong. We use a header track containing all controllers and sysex events used by the tracks inside te project. This track is set to 'all channels'. When selecting all channels and export the selection as .mid file the file fails during playback on external instruments or loading the .mid file in other programs like Cubase etc. Even when we load the .mid back in Logic, the file is corrupt and useless. 

The problem is that inside the export proces,Logic linked the first track to channel 1 instead of keeping the all tracks setting. With version 10.4.4 everything was okay. After exporting to .mid the first track was correctly linked to all channels. This problem occurs since version 10.4.5. On Big Sur we did not update Logic because of this error. Now we have one of our iMac's updated to Ventura and have to update Logic because 10.4.4 gives an error on Ventura. This means that Logic become useless for us.  

Edited by Jan Steurrijs

When exporting multiple MIDI Tracks (thereby creating a Standard MIDI File with Format 1), Logic indeed seems to convert all events on a track to the channel of the first MIDI event found on the track, if the track is set to "All". This behaviour has, as you already pointed out, changed between 10.4.4 and 10.4.5. Might be a bug, might have been done intentionally, I don't know. So, here's your options:

1) Edit the project in a Logic version that is a) still compatible with Ventura and b) writes files that are still compatible with Logic 10.4.4. Logic 10.5 would be a good start I guess. Then export with 10.4.4

2) Export your multi-channel track separately, as Standard MIDI File Format 0, and the rest in a Standard MIDI File Format 1. Then always import both files in your destination software.

3) Demix the multi-channel track by MIDI channel (thereby creating up to 16 single-channel tracks) and export with these tracks instead of the multi-channel track.

4) Report the issue to Apple and hope that they will a) recognise it as a bug and b) fix it

The only thing that will definitely not work is to somehow work around the obvious incompatibilities between Ventura and Logic 10.4.4 (the crash you describe happens here as well 100% - and it does not only affect region names, also happens for marker names etc.).

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, polanoid said:

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to understand and reproduce that here and check if there's a workaround. Have you ever reported this to Apple?

No, I haven't report this to Apple yet. We went back to version 10.4.4 after we experienced this problem after updating one iMac to 10.4.5 in the studio. As I said, we updated one of our iMac PRO's from  Big Sur to Ventura without knowing that we couldn't use 10.4.4 anymore. I never tried to contact Apple. Can you tell me how I can connect to Apple to tell them about this problem?

Edited by Jan Steurrijs

3 hours ago, polanoid said:

When exporting multiple MIDI Tracks (thereby creating a Standard MIDI File with Format 1), Logic indeed seems to convert all events on a track to the channel of the first MIDI event found on the track, if the track is set to "All". This behaviour has, as you already pointed out, changed between 10.4.4 and 10.4.5. Might be a bug, might have been done intentionally, I don't know. So, here's your options:

1) Edit the project in a Logic version that is a) still compatible with Ventura and b) writes files that are still compatible with Logic 10.4.4. Logic 10.5 would be a good start I guess. Then export with 10.4.4

2) Export your multi-channel track separately, as Standard MIDI File Format 0, and the rest in a Standard MIDI File Format 1. Then always import both files in your destination software.

3) Demix the multi-channel track by MIDI channel (thereby creating up to 16 single-channel tracks) and export with these tracks instead of the multi-channel track.

4) Report the issue to Apple and hope that they will a) recognise it as a bug and b) fix it

The only thing that will definitely not work is to somehow work around the obvious incompatibilities between Ventura and Logic 10.4.4 (the crash you describe happens here as well 100% - and it does not only affect region names, also happens for marker names etc.).

I think option 1 is the only acceptable for us. Every song we create is modified for instrument brands like Yamaha, Roland and Korg all in several formats. Each song title is edited and exported in 14 formats (incl. 0 and 1). Can you tell me how to get Logic 10.4.5? I only have a backup 10.4.4 running on Big Sur and the recent version 10.7.5 on Ventura.