Show playhead over looped region in the piano roll

TequilaKez

So I use looped regions a lot, like always until there's a reason not to.

But when the track is playing it's like you only have 2 options.

1. Turn off catch playhead and view/edit the source region, but then you loose the visible representation the playhead moving over the notes so its hard to know what note is actually playing.

2. Turn on catch playhead and see the playhead rolling over the midi notes, but everything is greyed out so you can't edit anything because it's not showing the source region.

Either way it sucks and I end up having to go find the source clip, cycle around just that region to have editing abilities, but now i'm in a different part of the song.

The new pattern editor is great for drums and certain mono stuff. It doesn't suffer this problem as you always get the editable source pattern wherever you are. But I can't see how to replicate that behaviour with the piano roll.

Have I missed something?

Edited by TequilaKez

16 minutes ago, TequilaKez said:

Have I missed something?

I don't believe you have. Unless someone else has an idea for you, I'm afraid that your description of the functionalities of each feature are accurate, and I can't think of a way to reproduce the Step Sequencer behavior with a MIDI region. Unless you convert that MIDI region to a Pattern region, if that's possible? 

Damn shame. Seems like a bit of an oversight and one of the reasons why people seem to hate on looping regions so much. Too much workflow killer.

That and the fact its hard to grab hold of them when zoomed out.

But they seem to have cottoned on to both those issues with pattern regions, hopefully they've got improvements planned.