Add custom icons

Danny Wyatt

I wasn't able to make one. I Control-clicked the Logic Pro app and choose Show Package Content, found the icons under:

/Contents/Frameworks/MAResources.framework/Versions/A/Resources

It seems like the color-matching flat icons have a name that starts with e_ like

e_kick1.tiff

Each tiff file contains 7 different size icons, however all of them look gray. I've tried simply copying one and editing the 7 icons inside, and I can use the icon in Logic Pro however it stays stubbornly gray. 

If you find out anything regarding this subject, I would love to know! 😄 

I believe there is more to this than just the files. I did the same thing as you, but no luck here either. I never use icons anymore, because it just takes a lot of space, but I'm working on something for 2023 and I have a loooong template and having those icons will help a little bit. I guess I will just create the icons with the color I want, since I have specific colors for specific types of instruments, for example all drums and percussion are orange, FX are light blue, etc.

Thanks for sharing this anyway. Let's hope that they implement it one day. Will send my feedback on this

• Like 1

I'd imagine there's some custom tags within the .tiff file that Logic reads which is being lost when you save perhaps?   i.e. defining the colour index for the colour mask.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/imageio/tiff_image_properties

Had a quick play and if you swap names of two files they stay the same order in the icon selection dialog, so that would suggest it's reading the header information, but only tried it with effect_1 and effect_3.  Should've done it with icons from different categories to see if they swapped really.

There's always tonight! 🙂

Edited by skijumptoes
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well... I created a copy of all colored drumset icons (see attachments), which do change color according to the track color.
You don't need to create extra icons. What I've done, is creating new entries in InstrumentIconGroup(s) under "item 1" (at IconPickerConfiguration.plist). And within the InstrumentIcons.plist, I copied one existing tintable entry a couple of times and just copied the names from the colored icons (within "item 0")

Hope that's clear enough; otherwise please feel free to ask for more details.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 11.27.17.png

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 11.27.00.png

• Like 2