How do I format a Samsung t7 external hard drive for Mac?

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello,

I have bought 2 new T7 hard drives, I need to format them for my Macbook Pro 2015,  I cant find  direct instructions in the manual!

I know I done it a couple of years ago, now I have new drives I have totally forgot what the procedure is!?

I now have a mobile system with Logic and need to get these hard drives formatted to start work!

Any help greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:
  1. In the Finder's top menu choose Go > Utilities,
  2. Open Disk Utility,
  3. In the left column under External, select the drive,
  4. Toward the top right click the Erase button,
  5. Enter a name for the drive and make sure Format = APFS,
  6. Click Erase.

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 1.34.31 PM.png

THANK YOU !  I think I can follow that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, triplets said:

This part is vital, don't forget that for next time.

Yes and you can choose it only if you select the actual physical device from the left column - which is now hidden by default in Disk Utility. When you select the volume, you don't get to choose a Scheme, which is why APFS wasn't available. 

As you're saying kerochan: PHEW! 😆

• Like 1

APFS is not available on every type of hardware.  I believe that it can only be used on SSD drives, not "spinning metal."

If you don't have APFS being offered, "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" is the correct choice – unless you need case-sensitivity.  (Where "TOM" and "Tom" would be seen as distinct file names. MacOS does not usually use this.)

"MS-DOS (FAT)" is obsolete and should never be used.  "ExFAT" would be used only if the drive must also be used on Microsoft Windows systems.

Edited by MikeRobinson

1 minute ago, MikeRobinson said:

APFS is not available on every type of hardware.  I believe that it can only be used on SSD drives, not "spinning metal."

If you don't have APFS being offered, "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" is probably the correct choice – unless you need case-sensitivity.

"MS-DOS (FAT)" is obsolete and should never be used.  "ExFAT" would be used only if the drive must also be used on Microsoft Windows systems.

all my external drives are spinning disks, and all are formatted APFS (just mentioning).

• Like 1

Very well, then: I stand corrected!  I have one "spinning metal" external, and APFS was not offered as an option on that drive.  The other one is SSD and it was.  Hence my stated understanding, which apparently is incorrect.  Don't you just learn something new every day.

Anyway – if APFS isn't offered as an option, use Extended unless you need to share with Windoze.

When you buy a new drive, for some reason you still usually find it to be preformatted with "old-fashioned FAT."  You do not want to keep it that way, not even with Windoze. Filesystems have evolved a long way since those bad old days.

Edited by MikeRobinson

• 2 weeks later...