Typing anything inside plugins bug still present

GeneralDisarray

Hey guys, sorry but I've been busy on other stuff for a while and I can't find the thread where I had talked about that bug where if you loaded any plugin where you can type anything, like inside a search input field for example, the key strokes are not sent where the cursor is focused, the search field, but instead Logic captures them as shortcuts, so if you're not looking at the screen, when you finally do, you find a mess from all the different shortcuts you applied.

I remember submitting that as a bug to Apple, but good luck with them actually doing anything about it. But I also remember some people here had experienced the same problem. Did any of you guys find a workaround or fix?

I have plenty of plugins I can enter text into a search field, and they work fine. I can't think of any offhand where this doesn't work for me. So "any plugin with a search field" isn't that helpful. More helpful would be to give us a specific plugin or two you've encountered this with, and if I have the plugin I can check the behaviour here. Or if you have a procedure which can reproduce this, that's also useful.

text.gif.84b3ac0de1816e8de2344cbb780fb649.gif

Usually, as far as I understand, text focus is usually down to the third-party plugin to take focus accordingly, and pass through anything else back to the host when they are top, so it's possible you have plugins that are behaving badly, but if you can be specific we can investigate and see whether it can be recreated, and/or whether this is a plugin bug, or a Logic or macOS one...

Edited by des99

8 hours ago, GeneralDisarray said:

but good luck with them actually doing anything about it

Not easy to do something about that when it’s not even reproducible. When reporting it, make sure you include as much info about your system as possible. I don’t see this issue here. Do you have any third party software installed that might mess with keyboard/mouse event handling?

16 hours ago, des99 said:

So "any plugin with a search field" isn't that helpful. More helpful would be to give us a specific plugin or two you've encountered this with, and if I have the plugin I can check the behaviour here. Or if you have a procedure which can reproduce this, that's also useful.

The ones I remember off the top of my head are Eastwest's Opus and Arturia's Analog Lab V and CS-80 V4, but I remember this happening with others. I've been too busy on other things and didn't get a chance to do much with music or Logic for the past two months. 

In Opus, this happens (and not every time, but I haven't exactly counted how many it does or does not) when I click on the search field and start typing something. And also in Opus, which basically houses all the Eastwest instruments, if I open the Hollywood Choirs Diamond and then the Wordbuilder, click on the text editor and type something, I remember that also happening a lot.

In Arturia's plugins, I remember it happening when I type in the search field, and also when I try to create a new playlist, which for those not familiar with it, the name is not used as usual to define a playlist of songs to play in your car or whatever, it's basically folders where you drag presets from the list that you like, so you can put all the pads you like in a "Best Pads" folder and so on.

Now, here's the reason why I'm fairly certain this is a Logic bug: about two weeks ago today, I made a Ventura bootable USB drive from a brand new stick, wiped out the internal drive and then installed Ventura as a completely fresh install, so no upgrade from Monterrey. And this bootable installer already had 13.0.1 (22A400), so since installing, I haven't had to do a minor OS update.

So a lot of the problems I was having before, with tons of crap that I had installed when I got the Mac Studio in June (yes, I installed too much stuff because I was a kid with a new toy, guilty as charged), I'm not having that anymore. And this time I'm very conservative with all the software I install, so only the stuff I need, and definitely not a single Adobe program. 

So the fact that this happened in Monterrey and still happens in a fresh install of Ventura, and in plugins from two very different companies that have completely different interfaces, tells me the problem lies with Logic. 

I could be wrong of course, but if my reasoning is flawed, feel free, I don't mind people proving me wrong if it helps me and others that have the same problem, because I remember other people did.

Now, maybe it's not a bug, it's some setting? But I really haven't changed many settings in Logic since the new install, I haven't had time to put everything back to what it was, so unless it's one of the few I changed, then I don't know.

Thanks - I don't have Opus, but I'll check the behaviour with the Arturia plugins.

Key focus issues with third-party plugins are real, I've definitely had them on occasion in general use, but it's rare for me and I'm guessing it's more likely issues with the key focus handling in those particular plugins, than a Logic problem - but I don't know that of course, that's just my general impression.

I haven't had any text focus issues like this recently that I can remember, but I'll have a nose through various plugins as I'm using them and see if anything crops up.

There's not really any settings for text focus - it should generally just work as expected, and certainly if there are reproducible cases where in certain plugins, you're in a text field, and type something, but instead Logic's key commands are triggered (short of the caps lock keyboard, which I *think* always takes priority when open and you press keys it uses) then it's probably best to report it firstly to the plugin developer affected, I doubt Apple will do much with a bug report like this with a third-party plugin unless there is very specific evidence that it is indeed a Logic (eg, it also happens with their own plugins).

Like I say, I'll have a look around here and see if I can reproduce...

Hey guys, I can tell you so far, that I have issues very similar as you described, but not with all manufactorers. All the u-he stuff works fine. Some ARTURIA work, others don't (AnalogLab V  does definitely not...)

With Addictive drums 2 the issue appears and vanishs randomly.

At XLN they recommended me trying to switch off the "OpenGL hardware acceleration". I can't tell so far if this makes a difference , because the issue comes and goes anyway...

It seems to be any compatibility problem between LOGIC and the plugins and it is hard to say to whom to address that.

I am going to contact them all...

Kind regards

Gert

On 12/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, Gert Wilden said:

AnalogLab V  does definitely not...

What's the procedure to reproduce this, please?

I opened the plugin, clicked in the search field, and what I type goes in there. And tried five or six times, clicking around, clicking back in the search field, and never had a problem. (Am on Monterey, BTW)

Maybe it's something more hit and miss to trigger, if it's that pervasive a bug?

4 hours ago, des99 said:

What's the procedure to reproduce this, please?

I opened the plugin, clicked in the search field, and what I type goes in there. And tried five or six times, clicking around, clicking back in the search field, and never had a problem. (Am on Monterey, BTW)

Maybe it's something more hit and miss to trigger, if it's that pervasive a bug?

Happens here 100% with the search field. Using Ventura. This does look like a Ventura incompatibility then.

Hey Guys,

just to inform you: meanwhile ARTURIA support answered to my support request (as always quick and helpful). It is a known issue linked to the M1 processor. It is a Apple Native thing and has nothing to do with Ventura. They are on it. Meanwhile they recommend running LOGIC under Rosetta. I checked it out - it helps.

by the way: I have a probably related issue with Addictive Drums by XLN. Here it is the mouseclicks which randomly do not work anymore. Sometimes they work correctly, then suddenly, for what reason ever (didn't manage to literally reproduce it), they don't anymore.

At XLN they are clueless so far.

Does anybody of you have such issues as well?

Gert

4 minutes ago, Gert Wilden said:

meanwhile ARTURIA support answered to my support request (as always quick and helpful). It is a known issue linked to the M1 processor. It is a Apple Native thing and has nothing to do with Ventura.

I'm running it natively, in Logic natively, on an M1 machine, and didn't see the problem, but in any case, it seems that whatever is causing it, it's, as I suggested above, generally a third-party plugin problem, rather than a general Logic bug, and so contacting the support for the plugins affected should be the first call - as you've done here.

• Like 1

Interesting that it's another bug related to M1 Macs. Eastwest's Opus has this weird bug for which Logic crashes just by browsing instruments, under no stress at all, and it was the main reason I was having those crashes a few months ago, and then I stopped using Logic for a while for other reasons. But while this was happening under Opus mostly, it also happened under Kontakt 5, and the Arturia plugins.

Then I started using it again a couple of weeks ago, this time on a fresh install of Ventura, and it kept happening, not just for Opus, but funny enough, Kontakt 5 crashed doing the same thing, browsing presets.

Then Michael from Eastwest mentioned to me that they had discovered that it was something that other users had reported it was happening on M1 Macs, and the workaround was to switch to Rosetta 2 for Logic.

That works as a workaround, but obviously Logic is a heavy program to use with an emulation engine, even one as efficient as Rosetta 2, and it's usable, but you see hiccups when scrolling windows and things like that. 

Good thing is that Eastwest is working on it and they asked me to try an Opus beta that seems to be working pretty well, at least from the fact that I just selected like 30 different presets and it hasn't crashed. 

But it's interesting to see another company seeing issues with the M1 processor. I guess it's the price you pay for buying into a new architecture. Not that I'm complaining, when I use my Mac Studio for hours on end, sometimes rendering 4K video for hours, and I never heard any fan noise coming from it, I think, well, I can live with a bug or two for a while until they take care of it.

• 3 months later...

On Apple Silicon, at least in Monterey and later, when the audio app is compiled to run natively, AudioUnit plugins run out-of-process.  In addition to reducing the rate of audio app crashes, this makes it possible to use x86 plugins without having to recompile them to be native.

Unfortunately, 1 1/2 years later, there are still major problems with keyboard focus when running plug-ins out-of-process, and pasting doesn't work at all, which renders Symphonic Choirs entirely unusable in native mode (and presumably other plugins as well).

By running Logic in emulation mode, you're using the older, in-process AudioUnit handling code, and you don't run into those problems.

The worst part of all of this is that you have to disable System Integrity Protection to debug Audio Unit plugins on M1.  (Source: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiounit/debugging_out-of-process_audio_units_on_apple_silicon#overview)  This makes them absolutely miserable to debug, which creates a very strong incentive for developers to not even try to find workarounds, and to just blame Apple and assume that they will eventually fix the problems.

Sadly, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for things improving any time soon.  😞

12 hours ago, dgatwood said:

On Apple Silicon, at least in Monterey and later, when the audio app is compiled to run natively, AudioUnit plugins run out-of-process.  In addition to reducing the rate of audio app crashes, this makes it possible to use x86 plugins without having to recompile them to be native.

Unfortunately, 1 1/2 years later, there are still major problems with keyboard focus when running plug-ins out-of-process, and pasting doesn't work at all, which renders Symphonic Choirs entirely unusable in native mode (and presumably other plugins as well).

Thanks for the info, that makes some sense. But what I don't understand is why this behavior is like a coin toss? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. And when it happens, I close the plugin window, reopen it, and not typing works fine (I don't know about pasting though, I don't usually do that).

I mean, if the problem with the focus is that the plugin is being ran in an external process, then shouldn't the focus behavior be exactly the same every time? And I would like to say that there's one specific thing that causes it and be fixed, but like many things in the Apple world, it seems to be a coin toss. Just like the display thing where it assigns which one is main and which one is extended as it wants every time. There's absolutely no rule that governs it, and I did enough tests that prove with 100% certainty that the machine itself knows which monitor is plugged in to which thunderbolt port, and that each monitor has a unique ID.

So the OS can perfectly keep them exactly the same as the user configured the roles and positions until the user either changes them manually, or until the user physically removes one of them, and gets a new monitor.

But this has been happening for several years, on a wide variety of Macs, something you can easily find doing a Google search. Yet Apple does nothing about it. 

12 hours ago, dgatwood said:

Sadly, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for things improving any time soon.  😞

I stopped waiting for Apple to fix anything. This display roles issue showed me that Apple is an arrogant company that thinks they can do no wrong and will rather focus on keep on pushing iPhones to the world than fix bugs. And I don't say this as an Apple hater, because one year ago I had the highest opinion of Apple. Enough to spend $5,000 + tax on this machine after spending tens of thousands on several Apple products over the last 20 years. And it's not like my opinion of them soured overnight. I really thought that by now this would have been fixed, especially after I spent two hours on the phone with a tech support guy in early December.

And about Logic, sorry to repeat myself, but when you have an app that doesn't bring you any profits, and you use it only as a marketing device to get more people to buy Macs, it's obvious you're not going to assign a lot of resources to fix bugs with it. Does anyone really think that an app that costs $200 once and you get free updates for life makes any money? Imagine you hire a plumber that tells you he charges you $300 for his first job and then never again, even though he will keep fixing your plumbing for years to come. Do you think that plumber is going to make any money with you? And do you think the quality of his work is going to be that great?

not getting the plumber comparison. it's like comparing... apples to pencils... no comparison at all.

& don't forget to complain about logic with each thread you start; it's useful and entertaining. meanwhile, apple continues to improve and support logic, as it always has. and i, for one, any problems notwithstanding, appreciate that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

But what I don't understand is why this behavior is like a coin toss? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Because like many things in software development, it's not an easy, simple one-cause problem, but it's a behaviour that happens based on a whole heap of interacting components, including Apple code, and how third-party plugins have coded their handling.

5 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

And about Logic, sorry to repeat myself, but when you have an app that doesn't bring you any profits, and you use it only as a marketing device to get more people to buy Macs, it's obvious you're not going to assign a lot of resources to fix bugs with it.

Do you know how much revenue Logic brings in? Or the development team's resources? Have you seen the regular huge list of fixes, many of which require quite some work to uncover and fix, or work with third-parties to resolve?

6 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

Does anyone really think that an app that costs $200 once and you get free updates for life makes any money?

I don't really get these arguments. Apple run their business in way that make sense for them. macOS, or iOS costs nothing to the end user. If I want the latest OS, there was a time when it would cost me £100+ to get it. Now it's free. On it's own, it doesn't generate revenue from sales - but it still has value to Apple, and to the end users, and therefore Apple put in considerable amounts of resources to develop them.

What you're just doing is complaining that one small annoying, but not hugely problemmatic bug in the scheme of things that you'd personally like fixed is not yet fixed, and therefore Apple are obviously incompetent, and don't bother to fix bugs - when the lists of bugs fixed in every update clearly proves your claims as without basis.

• Like 1

Yeah guys, the problem is me because I complain about bugs. It's not Apple's fault, because Apple can do no wrong. Ever. No, they didn't make an iPhone so thin that it would bend and break the circuits so the touchscreen wouldn't work. It never made some keyboards so crappy that the keys would type double characters all the time.

Certainly they never made a mouse that costs about $50 more than it should where feel like you have Parkinson's every time you try to arrange notes in the piano roll, or do anything that requires any precision in any app, and most of all, they never ever have created code so poorly written that every time a $5,000 machine  is booted or, or the monitors waken from sleep, the OS flips a coin to decide which one is main and which one is extended. 

Nah, that never happened. It's all in my head. Just an overactive imagination.

Just now, GeneralDisarray said:

Yeah guys, the problem is me because I complain about bugs. It's not Apple's fault, because Apple can do no wrong. Ever. No, they didn't make an iPhone so thin that it would bend and break the circuits so the touchscreen wouldn't work. It never made some keyboards so crappy that the keys would type double characters all the time.

Certainly they never made a mouse that costs about $50 more than it should where feel like you have Parkinson's every time you try to arrange notes in the piano roll, or do anything that requires any precision in any app, and most of all, they never ever have created code so poorly written that every time a $5,000 machine  is booted or, or the monitors waken from sleep, the OS flips a coin to decide which one is main and which one is extended. 

Nah, that never happened. It's all in my head. Just an overactive imagination.

sorry you feel the need to get defensive. no one here is saying apple is perfect, or, for that matter, logic is perfect (i'd dare to say nothing is perfect).

but it's an incredible DAW that everyone on this forum uses, and (most of us) are getting our work done (& hopefully enjoying the process).

asking for help on this forum is a great thing. discussing (or complaining) about bugs or issues is reasonable too. but whining that things aren't as you would like them to be accomplishes nothing (altho i guess it allows you to get your anger out). 

also sorry you're having such a hard time with the app, your mac, your mouse. most of us are not experiencing those issues.

7 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

Yeah guys, the problem is me because I complain about bugs.

No. It's fine to complain about bugs. However, you're going beyond this, and turning it into a general "Apple is crap" rant - that's no longer complaining about a specific bug, that's a pointless rant, which is unproductive.

I'm fairly sure if you look you won't find me saying Logic is perfect, or there are no bugs, or we shouldn't talk about bugs and workarounds - I mean, it's a significant part of this forum.

What you also won't find me doing is stamping my feet and throwing my toys out the pram because my pet current annoying bug hasn't been treated as number one priority by Apple, therefore Apple are clearly incompetent and the developers don't care one bit.

To repeat - it's absolutely fine to say, even more than once, that this particular bug is annoying, are there any workarounds or things I can do in the meantime to improve the behaviour, and report the bug.

But Apple rants are entirely pointless, they achieve nothing, they don't make you feel better, and they won't get your bug fixed any faster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, des99 said:

No. It's fine to complain about bugs. However, you're going beyond this, and turning it into a general "Apple is crap" rant - that's no longer complaining about a specific bug, that's a pointless rant, which is unproductive.

Yeah well, I want to see if you don't slowly start thinking Apple is crap after almost a full year of wasting time you will never get back into doing something as mundane as setting up one of your monitors to main and another to extended, something that should be only once and should stay exactly that way across hundreds of sleep cycles, reboots, etc, and Apple does absolutely nothing about it when they know what's wrong and they can fix it. I used to tell everybody "Get a Mac, PCs are not that great unless you're a hardcore gamer" and now I'm not saying that anymore. Not after wasting what amounts to hours of my life that I will never get back.

But this is all I'm going to say about this. The next time I have an annoying bug that persists for months on end in Logic, I'm not going to bother posting here about it, because basically what I usually get here is "It doesn't happen to us, it must be something wrong with your machine", even if it's not in those exact words, but it's implied clearly over and over. It's funny that here nobody seems to have any problems with Logic, when you go online and people have tons of problems with it, crashing and whatnot. 

And while I may not be an experienced Logic Pro X user of years, I do have 25 years of using all kinds of software, Mac and PC, enough to have a good idea when something is a bug or is expected behavior. And I'm also very good at figuring out new software, to the point that last week I bought Cubase 12 Pro because the crossgrade pricing was on sale, so it was only $216, and I kept reading over and over how difficult it was to learn, but I already can do tons of things in it, even not everything, just like I can't do everything in Logic, but in less than a week I can record audio or instruments, edit the MIDI notes, automation, effects, etc, etc.

So you can all keep thinking that Logic and Apple are infallible and that I'm complaining about little bugs. When I have to type something in a search field (which is the case in many instruments) and my eyes go from the keyboard to the screen, and I see that nothing was entered, but instead my Logic GUI is a mess, that to me is not a little bug, that to me is a huge bug, and since it's Apple and not a small company with 30 people, I expect that to be fixed in days if not weeks, because they do have the resources to test what's wrong, and fix it.

So no, I'm not going to give Apple a pass now or ever when they screw up, because I certainly paid a lot of money for this machine, many machines before, and iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch, and the list goes on.

But again, no worries, I'm not going to complain here about these "little bugs" anymore.

Edited by GeneralDisarray

9 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

It's funny that here nobody seems to have any problems with Logic

Of course we complain about problems with Logic. We all do, on a daily basis. As the admin of this forum, I'm not the last one to complain about problems, bugs, features I'm missing, UI that makes no sense in some cases... etc. I've even created a whole entire forum for the sole purpose of cataloguing bugs (and hopefully workarounds for them): https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/16-bugs-workarounds/

However what we're trying to do here is complain in a constructive way. Trying to have some kind of scientific approach to troubleshooting, when possible, or bug reporting, with the goal of helping Apple and especially the Logic Pro team to improve the software we're using, rather than antagonizing them. 

i don't see anyone here saying that " Logic and Apple are infallible". and, as david points out, this whole forum is a place to complain about things, but better still, describe an issue and ask for help.

sometimes it's a bug that apple needs to fix; sometimes it's just an enduser needing 'new' information. and sometimes it's something the enduser is doing wrong. there's no one answer to all issues; hence, we discuss.

angry rants rule internet forums, but this particular forum is one of the most civilized places i've seen.

ask for help, discuss things... and save the ranting for some other place (and this, of course is my opinion, and just a suggestion)....

On 4/3/2023 at 3:29 PM, David Nahmani said:

However what we're trying to do here is complain in a constructive way. Trying to have some kind of scientific approach to troubleshooting, when possible, or bug reporting, with the goal of helping Apple and especially the Logic Pro team to improve the software we're using, rather than antagonizing them. 

David, you have an excellent forum full of great people. But I bet you would have a very different point of view on Apple right now if on top of the Logic bugs, you would have to boot each time, or wake the monitors from sleep, to find out that the roles you assigned of main and extended are swapped. And it would enrage you if you had had put up with that for months, and you had performed extensive tests that demonstrate beyond any doubt, that the machine knows which physical monitor is connected to which port in the back of the machine, but macOS decides at random which one is main, not the one that you set as so.

And it would enrage you even more if you had notified Apple of this in a long phone call several months ago, after months of reporting it through the feedback website, and kept reporting it, but Apple has done squat about it, and you read online that there are a lot of people in the same situation, and some of them even jumped ship to Windows because they were fed up with this and other Mac problems.

Right now, Final Cut Pro X has been stalled for over two hours scanning for audio units, even though I haven't changed anything, and even after rebooting several times and deleting preferences and everything I could find online, it is still scanning audio units, having advanced 46 of 134 plugins in about two and a half hours. This is not professional software, it's pathetic. When you have an app so poorly coded that plugins from companies like Native Instruments and iZotope among others will bring it down and not let you do your job, that to me is indefensible.

6:19 PM

Screenshot2023-04-09at6_19_09PM.thumb.jpg.e078206f526fd86049df45b87014e55d.jpg

9:09 PM

Screenshot2023-04-09at9_09_10PM.thumb.jpg.c4dc6926482c7a73a87a464dcb2f080b.jpg

So right now I'm at the boiling point where I'm thinking of selling this machine at a loss, and build my own PC for a fraction of what I would sell this one for, and forget about all this crap. Because I paid a fortune for this machine, when I'm far from the kind of person that buys a $5,000 machine as an afterthought, because I was led to believe by Apple that it was a fast and reliable machine which would allow me to focus on creativity rather than troubleshooting.

And here I am, having to turn in a project to a client tomorrow, and facing the likely possibility that tomorrow I will have to call that client and tell them that the video editing program I used to edit his project, is still opening after 16 hours or so. Not really how I thought things were going to go when I decided to spent $5K on a Mac, trust me. I know how to build PCs, and how to build them well. I don't do it professionally, but every single machine I built in the last 20 years for me and other people are still working fine, with the obvious exception of mechanical hard drives. But my PC that I built in 2012 is still going happily after all these years, fast as it was back then and not crashing, or anything.

I could've built a hell of machine for $3K but I chose Apple for many reasons, two of those being Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X. And now I'm starting to think it was a huge mistake.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:33 PM, fisherking said:

angry rants rule internet forums, but this particular forum is one of the most civilized places i've seen.

Well, I'm sorry you can't recognize the difference between an angry rant with the purpose of picking fights and a user that loves the platform but is authentically frustrated with it after having headaches with it all the time.

And sorry guys, but if you think a software is $200 and has free updates for life, and another that is $400, also with free updates for life, is going to get the best attention from Apple, you don't see the simple reality of how a company works. Corporations cut off money losing departments all the time, that's how businesses work. They might give them a chance for a while, but if they don't bring profits, they're gone. Plain and simple.  So either these programs are going to disappear, or Apple has to start charging at least a modest fee for major upgrades, and make these programs what they should be, because the potential is there, these could be very solid programs, but Apple just doesn't put the resources to fix them.

quit FCP. move all the AUs from the component folder to a folder on the desktop. open FCP... it's fine. quit it again, move AUs back in in groups, until you locate the problem plugin(s). fun? no. but should sort things out.

this happened to me on my new M2 pro mini; i narrowed it down to 2 izotope plugins... that eventually validated.

FCP could really use a plugin management system. until then, like anything else, we find workarounds.

but ranting accomplished nothing, especially when you could be asking for help, especially when there's an "excellent forum full of great people" right here. still, you seem to prefer to rant 😔

i live on logic, and use FCP sometimes. both are working for me; neither is without occasional issues. but one of my collabs is having issues with pro tools, and i know in fact that all DAWs, and windows as well, are not perfect. 

so rant away, or.... take a deep breath, and look for solutions, and workarounds.

just my thoughts, of course 👍

11 hours ago, fisherking said:

quit FCP. move all the AUs from the component folder to a folder on the desktop. open FCP... it's fine. quit it again, move AUs back in in groups, until you locate the problem plugin(s). fun? no. but should sort things out.

I'm forced to do that since I woke up to FCPX still being stuck, but it pisses me off that I have to waste time doing that. It's pathetic that a program that has "Pro" in the name doesn't have a proper plugin management system, or that it doesn't have a way to launch it without audio units.

And yes, you can see this as a rant, but it's just one more thing added to all the rest in the world of Apple that is making me waste time over and over. So things keep piling up, and with that my opinion of Apple keeps going down.

13 minutes ago, GeneralDisarray said:

I'm forced to do that since I woke up to FCPX still being stuck, but it pisses me off that I have to waste time doing that. It's pathetic that a program that has "Pro" in the name doesn't have a proper plugin management system, or that it doesn't have a way to launch it without audio units.

And yes, you can see this as a rant, but it's just one more thing added to all the rest in the world of Apple that is making me waste time over and over. So things keep piling up, and with that my opinion of Apple keeps going down.

am genuinely sorry you're having a bad time with your apple apps, but that's not typical, and most of us on this forum are happy running logic (despite the occasional bumps in the road).

sometimes we have to find (or devise) a workaround for a problem; it's the nature of tech. & when i think of the hundreds of AU developers out there, and the variations of the OS, logic, the hardware, and their own software... it's amazing that anything works.

i wouldn't trade logic or final cut for anything (now that i've got those AUs validated, FPC is working without issue... so far, anyway 🤔)

moving to a PC and another DAW is always an option. just don't be surprised if you find problems with that platform and a new DAW... software is not a perfect science.