"Record MIDI to track here" on pre-existing MIDI?

AllTheButtons
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have some MIDI which is going through various MIDI FX, and I would like to have access to the actual MIDI at the end of that chain. Logic has a new "Record MIDI to track here" function, but it only seems to work with MIDI played live. If I try to use it on a pre-existing MIDI region, it just bypasses the MIDI FX.

Is there any way to convert a pre-existing MIDI region (I know there are third party plugins but was thought there might be a native option now)?

Edited by AllTheButtons

• 11 months later...
On 12/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, David Nahmani said:

Yes I agree. That would be the next step in their (horribly named) "Record MIDI to Track Here" functionality. 

It's just a terrible name choice isn't it. Let's hope whoever came up with that particular gem doesn't have kids ...

- "Hi, this is my son, Egg-Fertilised-By-Sperm Smith".

Edited by zestyOrange
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

There is a way to use the record MIDI to track function, press the '+' icon to create a new track and under midi select 'external midi'. Then within the external midi VST, change the midi destination to 'IAC Driver Bus 1'. Now when you hit record on this external midi track any track with 'record MIDI to track' activated on the midi fx will record the midi onto this external midi track.

If you don't see the correct midi destination, IAC Driver Bus, then on your mac you need to go to apps>utilities>Audio MIDI Setup (then from the windows menu at the top open up Midi Studio or press Command+2) and select the IAC Driver and ensure the box by 'Device is online' is selected. 

Using this I was able to take a chord progression with the arpeggiator on midi fx and record the individual notes of the arpeggiation onto midi on another track in order to have more freedom with changes in the arpeggiation.