Intermittent audio pops in specific places, except when Audio Track Editor is open

thesheep
Go to solution Solved by thesheep,

Having this strange issue.

I have an audio track which has some flex pitch edits, and some other plugins on it.

I notice minor pops and skips on it in a couple of specific places when I bounce the track and also when playing back within Logic.

I have tried increasing the buffer size.

This is the weird part: if I double click the audio region to view the flex pitch stuff, then play it back, the pops disappear. With the Audio Track Editor open, I don't get the pops. But when I go to bounce down again, the pops appear once more in the output. 

Also, if I bounce in place the pops appear in the rendered track.

Incidentally, the pops were not initially evident in the original audio recording. They seem to have appeared fairly recently over the past couple of hours that I've been working on the project.

Any ideas how to isolate this problem?

Edited by thesheep

• Solution

Ah OK. I solved it.

I had the iZotope RX de-esser plugin automated so that it came on and then off again for a couple of seconds to reduce a particular bit of sibilance. The pop happened a couple of seconds after the plugin was deactivated again in the automation. 

Seems strange that this artefact happens after the plugin has been deactivated, some kind of bug I guess. Anyway, I guess I will maybe just live with the sibilance, it's not as bad as the pop!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wonshu said:

Or, just put only that phrase / word on a copy of the track and use the de-esser on that track only. Then you don't have to automate. 

Automating the bypass almost always leads to pops. Even on built-in plugins.

Oh that's an idea. But the sibilance is right at the start of a fairly long phrase. I guess I will see if the de-esser changes the rest of the phrase much. Might be OK. Will try it.

19 minutes ago, wonshu said:

just put only that phrase / word on a copy of the track and use the de-esser on that track only. Then you don't have to automate. 

I love that workflow because:

1. It makes it very easy to Marquee-select portions of audio and drag them to the new track. 
  2. It makes it very easy to do further processing than just de-essing (for example level adjusting, EQ-ing or compressing the de-essed track).
  • Like 1