Default Freezing is chopping off rvb tails

Sebmo

Hello,

if I am using Freeze, I noticed the my Reverb is chopping off to early (in my opinion). I re-imported the freezed Audio-file (32bit floating point) and I could clearly see and hear it. Is there anything I can do about it?

And I also tried "Bounce In Place" with "include audio Tail", but same here. For me it chops off to early, and since Bip is only 24bit, there are artifacts in the quietest parts. Any way to change the settings to 32bit for Bip ?

The only solution, for me, (for super hi quality) is exporting in 32bit (floating point) and adding a few seconds extra time (even when using include tail this way it will chop up the reverb to early!)

I know I am very picky here (and maybe my new Neumann NDH30 are responsible for that), but still... . Especially for Solo Piano Recording I want to make sure it is the highest quality. (And keep in mind the truncation effect)

Any advise very much appreciated.

Sebastian

2 hours ago, Sebmo said:

since Bip is only 24bit, there are artifacts in the quietest parts

Sorry, but either your mind is playing tricks on you there, or you're leaving way to much headroom. 24 bit provide 144 dB of dynamic range, I'm pretty sure this is more than your DAC gives you.

Edited by polanoid

2 hours ago, Sebmo said:

if I am using Freeze, I noticed the my Reverb is chopping off to early (in my opinion). I re-imported the freezed Audio-file (32bit floating point) and I could clearly see and hear it. Is there anything I can do about it?

You could add a short region (just containing a click or something) at the end of the track (shortly before project end), thereby forcing Logic to freeze the whole track.

2 hours ago, Sebmo said:

The only solution, for me, (for super hi quality) is exporting in 32bit (floating point) and adding a few seconds extra time (even when using include tail this way it will chop up the reverb to early!)

Yes, looks like the reverb tail is cut off at around -50dB (for Freeze and Bounce alike), which is unnecessarily high, given the above mentioned dynamic range of 144 dB (or even the 96 dB you get with 16bit)... can you report this to Apple?

Edited by polanoid

6 hours ago, polanoid said:

Yes, looks like the reverb tail is cut off at around -50dB (for Freeze and Bounce alike), which is unnecessarily high, given the above mentioned dynamic range of 144 dB (or even the 96 dB you get with 16bit)... can you report this to Apple?

Thanks for your answers. I totally agree, way to high, especially for very quiet but dynamic recordings. I hope „Bounce in place“ will also be 32bit in a future update. I will report it to apple. 

7 hours ago, polanoid said:

looks like the reverb tail is cut off at around -50dB (for Freeze and Bounce alike), which is unnecessarily high, given the above mentioned dynamic range of 144 dB (or even the 96 dB you get with 16bit)... can you report this to Apple?

For all we know this may well be a botched bug fix for the infamous infinite bounce bug that used to occur with "Include Audio Tail". 🙄