Hand wrist issues need a better mouse.

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I mainly need a mouse for logic only . I have some major wrist/finger issues . I am considering a vertical mice but they are getting some not so hot reviews …..any suggestions ? I’m right handed….also I use as many keyboard shortcuts as I can   . I have and older wired Logitech trackball that is ok for most things but zooming…a wireless Bluetooth would be cool but so many and varied prices  ….Thank you 

Edited by NoPro
Added content

I've been using a vertical mouse for several years now and it really helped with certain hand issues. The downside is that now the part of the hand hurts that almost always touches the desk...

Tried a separate trackpad - did not help for me. For a while I used a laptop instead which also helped because having the hand(s) lie flat on a surface (and moving the cursor mostly with the thumb) provided some relief.

But I'm certain that every case is different.

• Like 1

Thanks ….all reviews are all different with different issues after a while …and aside from the mouse itself ….

it sucks wrist finger issues and you know when you have them .

I think I’ll keep 2 mice hooked up and go between for a specific task. A PITA either way….but I’ll still take suggestions …

I have a mouse and an Apple Magic Trackpad on the right and an Apple Magic Trackpad on the left. Scrolling is much better this way and it saves a lot of of click-drags which are the ones that hurt our fingers most. I used to have a trackball that I had out a couple of weeks ago after many years. It felt much more clunky than I remembered, but the one thing I liked is giving the ball a spin and because of the momentum of the ball the cursor moves across the whole screen with just that one touch. 

Anyway, yes, once you have the pain, you understand... and people who don't have the pain don't get it at all...

• Like 1

Never really spent enough time with a trackpad …only at a store for about 10 mins….I’d have to buy one and use it to see if it is for me. I did buy a MX vertical mouse and it’s great …..except the scroll wheel makes it a loser. It’s too bad it would be great otherwise . Returned 

1 hour ago, NoPro said:

Never really spent enough time with a trackpad

What I like is that you're making only a tiny finger movement instead of a large shoulder and arm movement to move the pointer on your screen. Scrolling is done by swiping fingers lightly, no pressure needs to be applied. If you've used an iPhone or an iPad then it feels very much the same way except that the touch surface is right under your hand while the screen is away in front of your eyes. 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, NoPro said:

I mainly need a mouse for logic only . I have some major wrist/finger issues . I am considering a vertical mice but they are getting some not so hot reviews …..any suggestions ? I’m right handed….also I use as many keyboard shortcuts as I can   . I have and older wired Logitech trackball that is ok for most things but zooming…a wireless Bluetooth would be cool but so many and varied prices  ….Thank you 

I've had RSI issue in my right hand for years. I'm convinced that it is due to using the mouse so much. I've tried many types of mouse and trackpads, none made the RSI any better. The only thing which helps is an RSI glove. I wear it all the time when on the computer.

This is the one I use. https://bit.ly/3IeVE4O

Best,

Rob

Edited by kenrob2037

Thank you ! I will check on that right now !!! I have a similar glove but the fingers are not cut open. I’m having a huge issue with both index fingers . Getting it checked out. Already had a cortisone shot but those are not good to do ….at least for me . 

Edited by NoPro
Add material

I too get RSI, frequently. But unlike most people I prefer a mouse to a trackpad. I have a desktop Mac which I use with a Magic Mouse, mostly for Logic. But in the evenings I use my MacBook Pro with the trackpad, but that's only for replying to emails, keeping everything up to date, and lying to my bank manager!

The glove thing is new to me: I shall probably have to look into that sometime soon.

• Like 1

I really like my Logitech trackball - needs a week or so to adjust after a mouse but it's solved my hand issues.

Also the device has easily programmable buttons (via good software) and a small dongle for switching control to another computer.