BFD3 - multi outs assignments

cmf

Hi Jordi

Thanks for reply.... But damn. 

That really sucks, cus in order to have 15 mono tracks setup in the daw(kick, sn, toms... Etc), one need mono configurations PLUS one stereo for ambient.... If not two... One for OH. Now, we're left with a lot of mono or stereo. 

I haven't heard from BFD forum yet.... 

Hi cmf,

I agree with you that it's not so cool.

Back in Logic 9/BFD2 days I used to do a trick using the input format button Logic's multi-out Aux channel strips to tweak the multi-out configuration more to my liking/needs:

But I remember that when Logic Pro 10 came out, this became almost impossible:

LPX: not possible to set Multi-Out Inst. Aux Input to L or R - Logic Pro - Logic Pro Help

I tried it today and it's possible to get that tick going, but man it's buggy as hell! 🤯. You really have to fight the program just to get the input format button and its dropdown menu to appear (setting the input to "no input", messing with the input format button of nearby audio channel strips, forcing graphic redraws by hiding/showing the mixer, etc.). Insane. And if you manage to get it working,  better not touch those input slots again, because everything you did before breaks! 

J.

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 3:23 PM, Jordi Torres said:

I tried it today and it's possible to get that tick going, but man it's buggy as hell! 🤯. You really have to fight the program just to get the input format button and its dropdown menu to appear (setting the input to "no input", messing with the input format button of nearby audio channel strips, forcing graphic redraws by hiding/showing the mixer, etc.). Insane. And if you manage to get it working,  better not touch those input slots again, because everything you did before breaks! 

Can you post a video of that? Don't see anything like that here.

1 minute ago, Jordi Torres said:

Do you mean you can set the input format (and specifically Left, Right) of a multi-output instrument's aux channel strips without issues in Logic Por 10.x.x?

No, sorry, I thought you meant to choose the mono outputs of a multi-out instrument which is what I did and which works here. Didn't even know it was possible to change a multi-out inst's mono out into stereo out or vice versa.

• Like 1

In Logic 9, the trick with the input format allowed you to freely change the configuration of a given instrument's multi-outs. Say you had an instrument that only had 8xStereo outs. Using the input format's Left and Right options on those stereo auxes (plus panning in the instrument's internal mixer if it had one) you could end up with a custom combination of stereo and mono signals coming into your Logic mixer, say 4xStereo + 8xMono. Similar to what we see in one of the pics from that thread (input format button at the bottom of the channel strip):

spacer.png

J.

17 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

In Logic 9, the trick with the input format allowed you to freely change the configuration of a given instrument's multi-outs. Say you had an instrument that only had 8xStereo outs. Using the input format's Left and Right options on those stereo auxes (plus panning in the instrument's internal mixer if it had one) you could end up with a custom combination of stereo and mono signals coming into your Logic mixer, say 4xStereo + 8xMono. Similar to what we see in one of the pics from that thread (input format button at the bottom of the channel strip):

spacer.png

J.

Seems this is still possible in the Environment?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Seems this is still possible in the Environment?

Are you telling me or asking me? 😅

But you're right! It didn't even occur to me to check in the MIDI Environment as this was always done directly in the Mixer. Unless this functionality is brought back to the mixer, and as long as we have the MIDI environment, this is going to be best way to achieve that in current Logic Pro 10.x.x.

Good catch @polanoid ! 👍

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres

1 minute ago, Jordi Torres said:

Are you telling me or asking me? 😅

But you're right! It didn't even occur to me to check in the MIDI Environment as this was always done directly in the Mixer. Unless this functionality is brought back to the mixer, and as long as we have the MIDI environment, this is going to be best way to achieve that in current Logic Pro 10.x.x 👍

J.

Obviously I was telling you 😉 The question mark was more to express my bewilderment that you didn't find that out yourself

Edited by polanoid
  • Haha 1