Alan Vista Royotoms (really ROTOTOMS)

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have an older Mac running logic 10.3.3 and trying to get this cool virtual instrument .Royotoms by Alan vista . It’s an older plugin but I think it should work.

I see it on plugins4fre e …I added the component to library /audio/plugins/components…..I’ve restarted logic …restarted the iMac etc…it doesn’t show up in plugin manager or in a session . My Intel iMac is old but it runs 64bit plugs …

if anyone has an old setup running this plug and has a clue what’s up let me know . Thank you . I was able to download samples but the instrument has better options ….

• 5 months later...

I was able to get it to work on my 2020 intel iMac finally.  It took a lot of trial and error and is semi complicated.  Here is what I did:

1. Drag the royotoms.component file into /Library/Audio/Plugins/Components folder.

2. Right click on the file and go to "show package contents".  Once opened, look for the Pkginfo file.  It will either be a "Unix Executable File" or "Document" file type.  If it is the executable file, just restart and open logic. If it is a Document, continue to step 3.

3.  Open Terminal.  

Run the command:      % cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Royotoms.component/Contents 

Then run the command:

% chmod 755 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Royotoms.component/Contents/PkgInfo

This should change the file to executable.

4. Restart and load Logic.  It may tell you that you can't open it because it is an unidentified developer so you'll have to go to system preferences/privacy and security/ scroll down to security and click allow anyway.

Not sure if all of these steps are necessary but this is what worked for me.  Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, Crazylegs13 said:

% chmod 755 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Royotoms.component/Contents/PkgInfo

This should change the file to executable.

No, this sets permissions to enable the file to be read.

To change a file to be executable, it's "chmod +x *filename*".

4 hours ago, des99 said:

No, this sets permissions to enable the file to be read.

To change a file to be executable, it's "chmod +x *filename*".

Interesting.  Good to know.  I'm not very well versed in terminal commands.  I just followed the instructions on this post https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/make-a-file-executable-apdd100908f-06b3-4e63-8a87-32e71241bab4/mac

Although it seemed to work, when I load the plug in in logic, none of the drums are mapped from what I can tell.  I can click the drums and hear the samples but can't figure out how to get my midi keyboard to communicate with it.  All other instrument plug ins work fine for me too.  

20 hours ago, des99 said:

That's different though, as it's referring to a shell script (a .sh file), which Terminal already knows it should run. Not a binary program file.

Ah ok that makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.  Do you think that because I ran that command, it might be the reason that the plug in isn't mapping to any midi channels?  I guess I could try trashing the file that I ran the command on and replace it with the original doc version and see if it works.  Or should I run the "chmod +x *filename*" command on the original doc file like you suggested?    

26 minutes ago, Crazylegs13 said:

Do you think that because I ran that command, it might be the reason that the plug in isn't mapping to any midi channels?

No, that has nothing to do with what the code is actually doing. Generally, if it runs, and seems to be working, you're good!