Help with sending tracks to my sound engineer

bernarada

I have 2 questions... I have the tracks of recordings me and a trio I'm in recorded in a studio. The engineer sent them to me since I needed to do various adjustments before sending them back to him to be mixed. 

My first question is: Since the tracks' audio material starts and ends at different times in the song's timeline, to make things easy for him (we talked about it) I want to send them back all aligned from the song's beginning. So the question is what is the best way to fill the space before and after the audio material on each track? I read somewhere that one can use a MIDI region to fill those spaces, and I guess that would work, but I'm looking for the best practice.   

My second question has to do with what is the best way to send back those tracks? Since I did some editing, I already "joined" the regions of each track so that I now have a single region on each track. Then once I solved the issue I brought up in the first question, and join everything again if needed, then how do I send them? First "bounce in place" each separately? And if so, then export each separately? Or is there a way to bounce or import them separately all at once?

Hi bernarada,

10 hours ago, bernarada said:

I want to send them back all aligned from the song's beginning. So the question is what is the best way to fill the space before and after the audio material on each track?  I read somewhere that one can use a MIDI region to fill those spaces

No need for dummy MIDI regions to fill those spaces. Go to File > Export > All Tracks as Audio Files and set the Range to Extend File End to Project End. You might want to adjust the Project End Marker if it's too far off to the right to avoid ending up with unnecessarily long files.

Adjust any other settings in this window as necessary (watch out for that Normalize setting).

10 hours ago, bernarada said:

My second question has to do with what is the best way to send back those tracks? Since I did some editing, I already "joined" the regions of each track so that I now have a single region on each track. Then once I solved the issue I brought up in the first question, and join everything again if needed, then how do I send them? First "bounce in place" each separately? And if so, then export each separately? Or is there a way to bounce or import them separately all at once

By Exporting All Tracks As Audio Files you will already have what you need. Just get the files from the location you exported them to (by default the project's Bounces folder).

J.