MIDI Registers, but Software Instruments Are Only Audible During Playback

craike

I've had an increasingly common issue that I don't see described in past posts, so I at least want to create a post to document the issue. Given the numerous problems I've had with CoreAudio on my M1 Air, I'm inclined to think it's a bug, but I'm hoping maybe I am missing an obvious setting somewhere.

----

Hardware: 2020 M1 MacBook Air

MacOS: 12.5.1

Logic: 10.7.6 (running in Rosetta)

The problem is that, often abruptly, I can't hear input monitoring for any software instruments whether or not I am recording. This is true whether I'm using musical typing or an external MIDI controller.

Things that work while this is happening:

- MIDI is registered properly (channel, velocity, note) from all control surfaces in realtime via MIDI input monitoring

- MIDI is actually recorded by Logic, and is audible via software instruments when that portion is played back after recording

- Audio-in tracks via my audio interface (guitar/vocals) appear unaffected, and both monitor and record properly

Things I have tried that do not resolve the issue:

- turning Software Monitoring on or off

- Record-Enabling a track and/or turning off Record Enabling

- changing the channel of MIDI inputs

- turning Low Latency mode on or off

- selecting "Reset all MIDI Drivers" from the General > MIDI > General pane

- restarting Logic

- running Logic natively rather than in Rosetta

I can resolve the issue by creating a new Logic file, but, if I import the "silenced" software instrument tracks into the new file, they are still still silenced in the new file, despite other software tracks in the file working as intended. So my projects are essentially stopped in their tracks.

So to quickly rule out some things - Input monitoring isn't a thing for software instruments - input monitoring means "pass the audio coming into your audio interface's inputs to the channel". Software instruments don't receive audio from inputs. Software monitoring also has nothing to do with this, for similar reasons, neither low-latency mode.

Firstly, what MIDI hardware device are you using to play your software instrument? Is this configured as a control surface, or is it just a generic MIDI controller?

Create a new track and insert the ES2 on it. Play some keys. You should see MIDI registering in your transport display at the top of Logic (choose "Custom" if it's not).

Does the ES2 play when you play your keys? What MIDI channel are the incoming events?

If the track power power is not visible, right click on the track, choose configure, and make sure the power and mute switches are available, and both are enabled.

Posting a screengrab of this while you are playing notes, showing the transport MIDI data, the inspector with the selected channel strip meters and the region and track parameter visisble, would be helpful in case we can spot something you've missed. Or you can zip up a test project with this configured and share it here.

Edited by des99

This is definitely a bug. In the process of creating a sample project file to upload, I was dragging tracks around. Moving tracks above the 35th "row"/position results in them functioning normally, moving tracks below the 35th position results in them exhibiting the behavior I describe above. So far, it doesn't otherwise seem matter which tracks are below or above the MIDI tracks, or whether or not any of those tracks are muted. Bizarre, but I have a workaround for the time being I guess.

That's very strange. What do you mean by moving tracks below the 35th "position"?

Is this in a new empty test project (there won't be 35+ tracks in this), or is this in some existing multi-track project template you've set up?

Can you zip up and share the test project that reproduces the issue so I can take a look at it?

Edited by des99

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:34 PM, craike said:

Moving tracks above the 35th "row"/position results in them functioning normally, moving tracks below the 35th position results in them exhibiting the behavior I describe above.

Wild guess: Make sure that not more than 32 tracks are rec enabled (i.e. the rec enable button looking like one if these two buttons image.png.6711bdd6875de46279e5622984bb395c.png) because Logic will not give you live playing of more than 32 Software instruments simultaneously.

I very specifically have it set to only record enable the selected track and aggressively un-select anything that accidentally gets selected, but I wonder if this code limitation is what it's glitching and interacting with. If nothing else, polanoid, you may have made an Apple Engineer very happy 🙂