Can I record just the effects output?

Symphonichrome
Go to solution Solved by des99,

1 minute ago, des99 said:

You're welcome!

OK I ran into a snag

I set the instrument to No Output and then heard only the delay and reverb - that worked great

But, when I bounced the software instrument track in place, it played the software instrument sound without the delay and reverb (I did not click on "Bypass plugins" in the BIP window)

Do I need to someone bounce the Aux track?  I am not sure how to do that

Thank you

1 minute ago, Symphonichrome said:

But, when I bounced the software instrument track in place, it played the software instrument sound without the delay and reverb (I did not click on "Bypass plugins" in the BIP window)

"Bounce", not bounce-in-place, which works differently.

Bounce from the stereo output (solo the tracks you want, or mute everything you don't want in the bounce.)

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, des99 said:

"Bounce", not bounce-in-place, which works differently.

Bounce from the stereo output (solo the tracks you want, or mute everything you don't want in the bounce.)

Ahhh ok I went to File>Bounce with only the Software Instrument track selected with No Output and then imported the .wav back into he project - perfect - thank you again

• Like 2

Another way to do this without having to change your outputs is to: 

1. Go to the mixer, right click (ctrl click) the aux track and select "Create Track" or (Ctrl-T). This will put your aux track in the arrange window just like your piano track.
  2. Draw an empty region however long you want the rendered audio on the new aux track in the arrange window.
  3. From here you can Bounce In Place the aux region and it will render just your delay and reverb on a new audio track or...
  4. Click File -> Export -> Regions as Audio Files to export just your delay and reverb track as a wave file.

• Like 4

Yep, good points if you just want to capture each single aux channel as a file and another good technique to know. If you want to combine multiple channels into one recording - say two different auxes, you'll need to use the bounce method or record via busses as described below.

You could also rejigger your routing around and drop your auxes in track stacks and BIP that (which I assume works, I can't remember offhand), but it's starts getting a bit convoluted if you have to change your project setup just for this.

There are other methods too - eg routing the aux outputs to one or more busses and recording from those busses onto new tracks... As often the case in Logic, there's usually multiple ways to do something - choose whichever makes most sense for your use case! 👍

Edited by des99
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, cmrick said:

Another way to do this without having to change your outputs is to: 

1. Go to the mixer, right click (ctrl click) the aux track and select "Create Track" or (Ctrl-T). This will put your aux track in the arrange window just like your piano track.
  2. Draw an empty region however long you want the rendered audio on the new aux track in the arrange window.
  3. From here you can Bounce In Place the aux region and it will render just your delay and reverb on a new audio track or...
  4. Click File -> Export -> Regions as Audio Files to export just your delay and reverb track as a wave file.

1 minute ago, des99 said:

Yep, good points if you just want to capture each single aux channel as a file and another good technique to know. If you want to combine multiple channels into one recording - say two different auxes, you'll need to use the bounce method.

You could also rejigger your routing around and drop your auxes in track stacks and BIP that (which I assume works, I can't remember offhand), but it's starts getting a bit convoluted. There are other methods too - eg routing the aux outputs to one or more busses and recording from those busses onto new tracks... As often the case in Logic, there's usually multiple ways to do something - choose whichever makes most sense for your use case! 👍

Thank you - this more than answered my question - always wonderful to have different ways of accomplishing the same goal 

Thank you both

• Like 3