Saving project sessions_best practices

Jordn

We strictly use version numbers after the filename.

v01
v02

etc...

the highest we've gotten so far was v74 I think...

The most important aspect of this is: if you create a bounce of a piece, you have to make absolutely sure, that you keep the project file that created that bounce UNCHANGED and can go back to it. Because sometimes people fall in love with earlier mixes and you definitely want to be able to go back. Especially if you sold your tracks to someone.

• Like 3

I guess one will never run out of numbers.

40 minutes ago, wonshu said:

We strictly use version numbers after the filename.

v01
v02

Yup, this makes sense to me since I come from a video post production background and have had to save numerous versions of the same project.

53 minutes ago, Jordn said:

Okay Im trying to work with Alternatives, but now things are thoroughly confusing. Every time I open the file it has a ridiculously long naming convention and nothing I do (Save As, Rename) can change it. This is hindering workflow (see pics):

I'm not a fan of working with Alternatives to be honest. 

Still you should be able to edit their names: open the project, and choose File > Project Alternatives > Edit Alternatives, then you can double-click the name and enter a new one. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, Jordn said:

What's good advice on saving sessions? For example, I just made some changes to my static mix v.5 and saved it as v.5.1 to make sure I return to the last one I worked on. Make sense?

Makes sense to me. 

AES naming conventions recommend naming successive revisions R01, R02 etc...:

Revision Number: A 2-digit revision identifier with an “R” preceding it is listed last. The higher the number, the more recent the version created.

Source: https://www.aes.org/technical/documents/AESTD1002.2.15-02_1.pdf

But you don't have to follow the conventions, especially if this is just for your use. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Makes sense to me. 

AES naming conventions recommend naming successive revisions R01, R02 etc...:

But you don't have to follow the conventions, especially if this is just for your use. 

As a post production professional naming conventions are all important me, even for my own use. And should the time arise when I can mix a session for someone I plan on being prepared. 

• Like 1