Adding "Splash" Cymbals (& Other Percussion Instruments) to a Midi Drummer Track

Danos
Go to solution Solved by Danos,

Hi,

If I begin my Drum track by using "Drummer" and select the desired Drummer/Kit, and say I choose the "punk rock - max" and it uses "East Bay" Kit (regular, not producer kit).  So I create what I want in "Drummer", change it to a Midi Track and then..

How do I (easily) ADD another Percussion element / option to the track (so that in the Piano Roll Editor, I can add 2 more "Splashes", from within Logic (as in "Logic's "Splashes"), as additional options there (the Piano Roll) to use in the Song)!?

And is it the same process to (easily) add MORE (options), like a "Castanet"?  (I know I can create a separate "Castanet" track also, I just didn't know if there is a way to, on top of adding "Splashes", to add more percussion options (that may not be in this kit).

Thank you!

Edited by Danos

On 1/25/2023 at 4:35 AM, des99 said:

Add a second track with a new instrument that contains the extra sounds you want, and program it as necessary.

Is this the ONLY way!?  Is there also a way to put those additional Dum Sounds (ie. - "Splash" Cymbals) in the original main Drum Track I'm using?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Danos said:

Is this the ONLY way!?  Is there also a way to put those additional Dum Sounds (ie. - "Splash" Cymbals) in the original main Drum Track I'm using?

Thanks

This is one way to do it; Create a new Sampler track and load the "Studio Toolkit" instrument and place an alias of your midi region there by option+shift dragging it. Then in the track inspector, limit the pitches to F5-F#5. Use the "Collapse Mode" in piano roll for convenience ... 501314541_AddSplashtoKit.thumb.png.ab9fad5ac480d681e1f3385e5997e281.png

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 7:39 AM, JakobP said:

This is one way to do it; Create a new Sampler track and load the "Studio Toolkit" instrument and place an alias of your midi region there by option+shift dragging it. Then in the track inspector, limit the pitches to F5-F#5. Use the "Collapse Mode" in piano roll for convenience ... 501314541_AddSplashtoKit.thumb.png.ab9fad5ac480d681e1f3385e5997e281.png

Thank you.  I'm sorry, I don't get it.  And does this method put the 2 "Splash" Cymbals INTO 1 Midi region (that I'm already using, as in I already chose my Drummer & Kit) and am now manually editing on 1 track, in the Piano Roll Editor - within 1 specific region (at a time)?

I'm hoping it keeps the "Splashes" in 1 track, the SAME track I'e already been using, and not instead on 2 separate tracks?

Thanks

Edited by Danos

You will only be editing the selected (top) region, the alias region will "mirror" it.  Did you try set it up like I suggested ? Instead of using an alias region you could choose to pack the two tracks into a summing Track Stack and have your regions on the "main track" of the stack. The alias solution needs no rerouting or added auxes, though...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 5:27 AM, JakobP said:

You will only be editing the selected (top) region, the alias region will "mirror" it.  Did you try set it up like I suggested ? Instead of using an alias region you could choose to pack the two tracks into a summing Track Stack and have your regions on the "main track" of the stack. The alias solution needs no rerouting or added auxes, though...

Thank you!  I tried, but I'm not sure "alias" is what I want to use here.  I may try again though.  Very much appreciate!

• Solution

It seems as though you may not be able to put (Add) "Splashes" or additional percussion (that doesn't already come on a Drummer track) into the Piano Roll Editor on the Midi track (that uses a previously converted Drummer region).

Indeed, you may have to just do it on a separate Midi track.  (I'd prefer not to and just have ALL of the drums I want in one Midi track, but this may be the easiest solution).

(for people who are still learning more about Logic and have this question, or where to find "Splashes, China Cymbals, etc.), I'm laying out the easy steps of WHERE to find Logic's "Splashes", "China Splashes" and more, and use).  Hope it helps!

Adding Additional Cymbals (or Other Instruments) to a Current Drum Kit Template in Logic Pro

(by Building Our Own User Patch)

1.  Have a Drummer track open (have Chosen what Kit you're Using)

2.  New Track - “Software Instrument” - with “Empty Channel Strip”

3.  Drag this above the Drum Track (from Step 1)

4.  Open “Sampler” on the New Track

5.  Choose “Stereo”

6.  For Splashes     Go to “Factory - Drums & Percussion - Acoustic Drum Kits - Studio Toolkit”

7.  Choose “Mapping”

8.  Choose the 2 “Splashes"  (scroll down to see them)

9.  Copy them

10.  Go to “Recall Default” (on the main drop down window in “Sampler")

11.  Paste them (in the folder)

12.  “Save As” ____

13.  For Adding More China & another Splash Cymbals ..

14.  Go to “Factory - Drums & Percussion - Acoustic Drum Kits - Studio Heavy Kit”

15.  Should be in “Mapping”  (if not, click on it)

16.  Choose the “Splashes ..” you Want

17.  Copy them

18.  Open your Saved “Folder” (from Step 12)

19.  Click in the blank selection area (on left)

20.  Paste them (in the folder)

21.  “Save”

22.  Repeat Steps 13 - 21 for Any Other Instruments (you Want in there)        or Custom Samples as well!  (There are more Splashes in other kits there in the Sampler and some are named "Crash ____" but sound like Splashes).

23.  If you Want to Change ANY of the “Pans”  —  Highlight EACH Individual Instrument

24.  Change (Set) the “Pan” Level

25.  Repeat (Steps 23 & 24) for Any Other Instruments

26.  “Save”

27.  The Splashes and Any Other Instruments are on their designated Midi Notes

28.  You Can Change them to Any AVAILABLE (only) Midi Notes that you prefer  (You may also need to change some, as some Cymbals you import may be on the SAME Midi note, as in are triggered by the same Midi note).

29.  Choose an Instrument (in Sampler still), one at a time

30.  Then (in what resembles a Keyboard), Highlight ALL of the rows (above each Midi Note you want to change), so it gets ALL of the Velocities Sampled

31.  Drag them ALL to your Preferred Midi Note

32.  *  The Midi Notes AVAILABLE = D3 - A3  +  C4 - D4  +  F4 -  and more.        (Works for East Bay / SoCal / Smash / I Believe All Kits)

33.  Repeat (Steps 29 - 31) for Each Instrument you Want to Change the Midi Note (it’s assigned to)

“34.  Save”

35.  Close Sampler

36.  Rename the newly created Software Instrument Track (from Step 2)

37.  If you Want to Use it (the Splashes) With a Stereo Drum Track (that you already have Chosen & Open, like in Step 1), then you Can                

A.  Use it as its own Track  —  & just Record & Edit the Splashes (or Chosen Instruments) as is (the same way you Do Any Drum / Midi Track)                                                      

B.  Create a Track Stack  —  by Selecting & Highlighting Both the New Track With the Splashes AND the Drum Track & then right clicking (in the gray space, to the right of the Channel Strip Name) & selecting “Create Track Stack” & choosing “Summing”

38.  On the bottom left (in the Library), Name & SAVE this New Kit!  (This is the Stereo Kit)

39.  *  Note:  You Can later change the Tracks to Be Anything you Want (like a “Producer” Track later).  You Can Do this by taking Both the Drum Track AND the “Splashes” Track out of the Track Stack and then deleting the “Track Stack”

40.  Then, you Change the Drum Track to a Producer Kit (of the Same Name)

41.  Then drag the “Splashes” Track down into the “Producer” Kit (under the Kit name track column at least)

42.  This merges it into the “Producer” Kit

43.  On the bottom left (in the Library), with the “Producer” Kit Track already Highlighted (selected)  —  Name & “SAVE” this New Kit!  (This is the “Producer” Kit)

44.  This NEW Instrument is now uploaded into “User Patches” (in the Library)       at the Top of the list

45.  Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

I know I'm bumping an old convo, but I was wondering if anyone here knows whether you can change or add new "drum name" indicators to the piano roll on a Saved/Modified Producer Kit. I have my "additional" Sampler track in the summing folder with splashes, trash, and china. Now it might just be a bit of OCD but I would like to have them labelled just like the other drums in the kit. (Even B1, which is the same kick trigger as C1, and comes already set in the Producer Kit, for some reason has no label.)
I know about MIDI Environment (Cmd+0) and have seen people create custom drum kits with "Mapped Instrument" and "Monitor", but when I access the producer kit, there is no "Mapped Instrument" to open and modify. Is there anyway to access this or is it just embedded and hidden from users?