Moved from Play to Opus - Midi data is still intact but no "replacement instruments"

adguy31
Go to solution Solved by EverVale,

Hey all.

Noob here but a long time Logic user.  I finally got so frustrated I had to reach out and start an account here so I look forward to all the great help!

About 9 months ago I finally switched over to Opus from Play.  Then when I had some free time I wanted to go back in and address some songs, fine tune them, etc.,.  As I open up the project I am told "PLAY" is missing (yep, knew that one) so I went in and changed all the Play tracks to Opus tracks.  However, the Opus stuff no longer points to the instrument used within Play (also within Opus because those libraries never changed).  I know the instruments because I labeled them but I don't remember what version of them (e.g. what specific Cello did I use or which Violin and from what Hollywood Orchestra).  So my point is this... is there anyway to replace and UPDATED instrument so that it points back to the originally used instrument and setting without having to go back and, essentially, recreate all my past instrumentation and settings?  Any help or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thank.

I hate hate HATE that EW/QL shuttered their web forums, because I tried to find a solution to this myself, and there was nothing anywhere about it. Did you uninstall Play, or are you saying that you upgraded the license to the Opus edition? I did the latter, so at the end of that billing cycle, all of a sudden anything I had access to through Composer Cloud no longer had a license, because my license was now for Opus editions, not for Gold, GoldX, etc. As I understand it, there may still be some crossover between Opus and Diamond/Platinum editions, but it's gotten to the point that if I revisit an old project, I have to write down the patch names so I can reestablish those tracks. All that to say: no, as far as I know, it all has to be done manually. That is of course assuming that you are in the same situation, or that you are seeing a similar result as I have been.

Now I know why my professors advocated bouncing tracks/stems in place before moving on from a project.

Just now, EverVale said:

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but I had to go through every project and manually check the instrument, remove and replace PLAY with OPUS. It sucked but got to the finish line. Good luck!

Yep!  I spent some time online with EW chat and learned I had to go back and d/l PLAY in order to get access to the exact instruments and articulations I used.  The other shitty part is that one I deleted Play (now I really no longer need it) my Opus disappeared.  I re-installed Opus but then none of my instruments (save for Forbidden Planet) showed back up and it took their tech support team to determine I had to delete my catalog and download files from the Application Support folder in my library... reconnect all my samples...update and refresh the Opus browser...then redo the Audio/Midi data.  That's a tremendous amount of work for a lot of not so great symphonic samples.  🤣

Thanks for all the help and the quick responses.

Seth

10 minutes ago, adguy31 said:

Yep!  I spent some time online with EW chat and learned I had to go back and d/l PLAY in order to get access to the exact instruments and articulations I used.  The other shitty part is that one I deleted Play (now I really no longer need it) my Opus disappeared.  I re-installed Opus but then none of my instruments (save for Forbidden Planet) showed back up and it took their tech support team to determine I had to delete my catalog and download files from the Application Support folder in my library... reconnect all my samples...update and refresh the Opus browser...then redo the Audio/Midi data.  That's a tremendous amount of work for a lot of not so great symphonic samples.  🤣

Thanks for all the help and the quick responses.

Seth

Wow! That's terrible. Agreed, so much hassle for mediocre samples. Let's hope they don't upgrade to a new player within the next few years 🤞