Logic Pro X Crashing Project Without Loading: DYLD plugin?

Christopher11
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Thank you sincerely for any suggestions on this.  I have an older project from 2014 that I want to open and finish, great song, but LPX won't even load, crashes immediately.  It told me however it was the "dyld plug-in".  Please see screenshot attached. 

With a search in Plug-Ins folder in Library I found two files "DYLD_Library_PATH.patch".  Can I just delete these?  Do you know what dyld is?  Happy to delete it if it's just some 3rd party plug-in I can do without.  Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.38.55 PM.png

Here is a screenshot of my dyld search in Finder.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.44.24 PM.png

No, don't start randomly deleting stuff with semi-matching names! This is system-related, and the Logic error message is just reporting a problem that isn't quite what you think. If you start randomly deleting any files that contain those letters, you will likely break your system and be very unhappy.

Try posting a crashlog if you want help with whatever it is crashing, it might give some clues (that's the log you get when you click on "Report" above.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Christopher11 said:

I seem to remember also there was a way to load a project one plugin at a time, or something like this?  To see which one was bad.  I believe you started from another, or empty LPX project?  I'm sure David will know.

This won't help in this case, as it's not a third-party plugin crashing Logic. Logic is crashing trying to import a legacy project, possibly because it's corrupted.

If you can zip up a copy of the project you're trying to load (without any assets like audio files etc), I'll have a look at it.

• Like 1

Thanks - Ok, I tried to load it into the current version of Logic, and I also see the same crash with the LegacyLogicSong framework, indicating it probably is a corrupt project.

As it's an LSO file though, it looks like it's not a Logic Pro X project, but from an older version of Logic. I will see if I can get it to load/import into other versions of Logic, or somehow recover the contents - bear with me...

Edited by des99

So... so when you said this from was 2014 I assumed it was a Logic Pro X project, but it's from a way older Logic version than that. Some of the plugins used really take me back - Fromage, Supatrigga - names I haven't heard in decades!

Firstly, the project *is* corrupt. It *will* load into Logic Pro 7.x, although it will complain of corrupt data, which can be *fixed* and the project will load, so I can access it's contents. But the bottom line is the effort involved in recovering this, if that's what you want to do, goes rather beyond what I'm prepared to do as a quick forum help post.

I've had one of these projects to look at previously, where there is some corruption, and even when resaved from LP7, will never directly load into more recent versions of Logic. This means I would likely have to do a lot of troubleshooting to either find/fix/bypass the corruption (which could be anywhere, or manifest in very strange ways - that previous project had a weird corrupt hidden environment object that you couldn't even select without Logic expiring!), or rebuild the project in a clean file, and convert that over. With that client, they ended up going in a different direction so we skipped that project and they worked with the data they had (they also could load it in LP7).

So - how badly do you need to access this project, and what data do you need to recover? For example, if you just need the structure, tempo and the MIDI data (you'll already have the audio files, although it's mostly MIDI data in here), that restricts the scope of the work needed to pull it into a new project. If you needed everything, mixer data, audio regions and edits, automation, plugin data and settings etc, that's rather more work.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

Des, you are so awesome!  And truly a responsible and capable professional.  Thank you man, for all that info.  Mmm, I'll see in the coming weeks but I've got so much stuff I'm working on, and so often come up with new songs... that it's probably best not to fret over this.  I would love to recover MIDI files I guess, but if i can't, I can reproduce it by ear.  

I didn't know it was that old. Wow.  Thank you again.