make last click&drag action copy&drag

monotom
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi, I'm looking for a simple way to script the following:

after I clicked and dragged a clip or region,  allow me to hit a shortcut that changes that action's result as if I had dragged a duplicate instead. So "make last drag <option>-drag".

Is that doable in logic or should I look into Applescript or Automator?

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, monotom said:

after I clicked and dragged a clip or region,  allow me to hit a shortcut that changes that action's result as if I had dragged a duplicate instead

Easy. Click > drag > add Option-key and keep it pressed > let go of the mouse button > let go of the Option-key. Selection is copied instead of moved to the new location.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

Easy. Click > drag > add Option-key and keep it pressed > let go of the mouse button > let go of the Option-key. Selection is copied instead of moved to the new location.

As far as I understand the OP, the goal is to convert a region drag operation into a region copy-drag operation after the fact. There is no way to achieve this in Logic (nor do I think AppleScript or Automator could help you with this, because after completing the dragging operation there is no way to find out where the dragged region has been dragged from).

Usually you would undo the drag operation and then manually do an option-drag to the desired location.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 12:06 PM, polanoid said:

As far as I understand the OP, the goal is to convert a region drag operation into a region copy-drag operation after the fact. There is no way to achieve this in Logic (nor do I think AppleScript or Automator could help you with this, because after completing the dragging operation there is no way to find out where the dragged region has been dragged from).

Yeah I suppose you're right.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:06 PM, polanoid said:

Usually you would undo the drag operation and then manually do an option-drag to the desired location.

I was asking because after years of using Logic Pro, I still have to do exactly this so many times per session that I was kind of hoping to get around my inability to stop making the same mistake all the time :-)

• Solution

You're welcome. And unfortunately @polanoid is correct, there's no way to do that. 

If you're trying to Option-drag and end up dragging instead by mistake, then that's a common mistake. What happens is that Logic needs the Option key pressed at the exact time you're releasing your mouse button. So always make sure that you hold down the Option key, release the mouse button, and then and only then, release the Option key. You'll be copying regions consistently. 

If you're trying to Option-drag and end up dragging instead by mistake

Sounds a lot like it, yes!

then that's a common mistake.

Ah ok then it can't be it.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:36 AM, David Nahmani said:

So always make sure that you hold down the Option key, release the mouse button, and then and only then, release the Option key.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:36 AM, David Nahmani said:

So always make sure that you hold down the Option key, release the mouse button, and then and only then, release the Option key. You'll be copying regions consistently. 

Being aware of this does seem to help!

I'm also under the impression that my vertical mouse + modifier fails a lot more often than the logitech mx + modifier. I think you were right on the money to suggest I'm holding the mouse button for too long.

Next time I'm going to have to practice what I relentlessly preached back in my UX days: to "try and describe the problem instead of asking about some far fetched solution." ("See, you assumed you knew how to press mouse buttons and keyboard  keys.... Now what did I say about assumptions?").

Thanks,  David, I'll go see  if I can find a question I can answer in  return.